Bishop Zareh on Mon, 2 Apr 2012 23:03:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [California] Transcriptions Research Slam — CFP

.

Just wanted to pass this CFP to the greater HASTAC community, as our department's Research Slam is consistently my favorite event on campus every year. Developed independently but for similar reasons as other unconference formats like THATCamp, the Research Slam aims to foster productive informal conversations about research in a hyperattentive, collaborative atmosphere.

I can't understate how enjoyable and useful my Research Slam experiences have been. It's a great forum for works-in-progress and non-traditional scholarly work. We're particularly interested in sound-based projects that can add to the space. The CFP explains the structure of the Slam more in-depth, but I would also encourage you to look at the video of our second Slam to get a better idea of how the event actually works. Here's a link to the YouTube if it doesn't work:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bqhh1eKSNs

Hope to see some of you in Santa Barbara!

Transcriptions Research Slam — CFP

***CALL FOR PARTICIPATION***

Transcriptions and the Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program present the 5th Annual
Research Slam

Friday, May 25, 2012
1 pm – 5:30 pm
University of California, Santa Barbara
Department of English
South Hall (various locations)

One of the goals of UCSB’s Transcriptions Center is to investigate and highlight innovative ways of combining traditional humanities research with information media and technology. In this tradition, the Transcriptions Center and the English Department’s Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program are hosting the fifth annual Research Slam to showcase the unique work done by scholars interested in these intersections.

The goal of the Research Slam is to combine the best features of traditional academic humanities venues like lectures and roundtables with the free-flowing and participatory focus of the poster session and poetry slam. The format includes a series of parallel presentations, followed by a plenary discussion at the end
of the afternoon.

A Research Slam is:

• Non-linear intellectual encounters
• Smaller, more personalized discussions, followed by a large group session
• Multi-media, multi-modal, multi-temporal
• Inclusive of faculty and students
• Performative, interactive, playful
• Burning man without the fire
• A Poetry/Art slam without the judging
• Interested in new paradigms of sharing scholarly work

A Research Slam is not:

• Hierarchically divided into presenters & audience
• Rigidly structured
• Quiet
• Lecture-based
• Traditional

The Transcriptions Center is now soliciting multimedia projects, research posters, and other creative or
scholarly works taking advantage of the intersections between culture, information and technology to
showcase at the Slam, regardless of department, class level, or period of focus of the contributor. If you
think your project fits the structure of the event, we invite you to participate!

Here are some suggestions for possible presentation formats:
• posters
• original media pieces
• software / hardware demonstrations
• performative scholarship
• live coding
• audio work
• robots
• short films
• digitized interpretation

Project descriptions are due on Friday, April 22, 2011. Please send a 300 word abstract, a short bio and
any equipment requirements to transcriptions.ucsb@gmail.com.