BishopZ on Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:57:54 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Fwd: [Conference] Fwd: Re: CAT 22 Conference @ UT Austin

.
Reminder:  Abstracts deadline is on January 15th.

Contact:  jtlopez1@uiwtx.edu

The first annual ACTLab Conference Culture, Art, and Technology in the 22nd Century (CAT22) will be held April 13-14, 2012 in Austin, Texas. We invite proposals for papers, roundtable discussions, workshops, dialogues, performances, artwork/poster sessions, storytelling, digital media, maker events, or things that fit all or none of those categories. The conference will be organized as presentations in the traditional ACTLab “end of semester” style, but any style suitable to the presenter’s work is acceptable. We encourage artists, theorists, geeks, tinkerers, practitioners, academics, curious bystanders, ACTLabbies, former ACTLabbies, friends, family, acquaintances, and anyone interested in collisions of art, technology, and culture or the ACTLab educational style, to submit a proposal by January 15, 2011.

During our twenty active years, the ACTLab community — focused on the purpose-built studio designed to facilitate our work — grew, developed, and spread. Now there are hundreds of ACTLabbies in an informal global network, sharing experiences and stories of our time together at the inception of what would become the field of New Media. As New Media increasingly becomes mainstreamed, the character of the discipline naturally changes to reflect more traditional academic methods, and many who can proudly say “we were there” during the ACTLab’s heyday talk about how they miss the atmosphere of guts-and-glory creativity. This conference is a call to return to our roots.

We are particularly interested in:

  • academic papers about culture, art, and technology in the 22nd century
  • demonstrations of projects
  • proofs of concept
  • performances, behaviours, happenings, disparate connections
  • video and audio compositions
  • analogue or digital computing
  • glitches, accidents, failed experiments
  • indexing, exposing, mining, leaking, annotating, or any folksonomy
  • mesh, distributed and de-centralized solutions
  • creative technologies
  • sentiments, recommendations, user stories, reviews, qualitative evidence
  • multi-modal, multi-lingual, multi-meta computing
  • hacktivism, dorkbot, live code
  • perma-biology
  • brain interface, kinetic interactions, Trans-fu, multigender
  • collective intelligence, consensus computing

The conference continues the mode of end-of-semester project presentations of the ACTLab program created at UT Austin and continuing at the European Graduate School EGS in Saas-Fee, Switzerland.

Guidelines for submissions:

  • Papers: submit an abstract, no longer than 250 words
  • Performance, demonstration, or experiences: submit a short proof of concept video, no longer than 5 minutes
  • Video and audio compositions and demos of projects: submit a short essay pitching your project, no longer than 250 words
  • Electronic proposals preferred.  Submit proposals below.

Main guidelines for the ACTLab Conference:

  • Make Stuff
  • Take Risks
  • Be Awesome

Deadlines
January 15, 2012- Submit proposals
Feb 16, 2012 – Notification of acceptance
FB Event Page

Conference info
April 13-14, 2012
The ACTLab
Studio 4B, CMB Building, UT-Austin
Corner of Guadalupe and Dean Keeton

Contact:  jtlopez1@uiwtx.edu

We hope to see you at CAT22!

Reminder:  Abstracts deadline is on January 15th.