BishopZ on Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:03:58 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Vote for our SXSWi panel: 'Naked in the Infosphere: Post-privacy & German Angst'

.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: das ende der nahrungskette <jg@monochrom.at>
Date: Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM
Subject: [spectre] Vote for our SXSWi panel: 'Naked in the Infosphere: Post-privacy & German Angst'
To: spectre@mikrolisten.de

'Naked in the Infosphere: Post-privacy & German Angst'

Speakers: Johannes Grenzfurthner (monochrom), Jens Ohlig (CCC)

We need a radical rethinking of how we discuss privacy. As our lives are exposed on Google, Facebook and Twitter, the dissolution of privacy shatters personal and social securities. This loss of control can be embraced and molded into productive, emancipating "post-private technologies of the self" (Ganz), making all of us happier.

Post-privacy as a social theory hits a raw nerve in Germany because of its totalitarian past. Jeff Jarvis observed when Google Streetview created an outrage in the German media: "Germans love going naked to mixed saunas and letting complete strangers take an intimate look, but when it comes to the Internet, the buck stops there."

Is surrendering to "full-frontal data nudity" a sign of de-solidarity and apolitical behavior? Is post-privacy only an option for the privileged? Is privacy a necessary means of self-defense against certain powers? Join the debate! (clothing optional)

Vote for the panel! HERE!
http://bit.ly/pKrrqH