Isa Cucinotta, Director of Programming Operations at Film Society of Lincoln Center. New York
Macu Moran, Art Researcher and Chief Curator of VideoArtWorld
Lyle Rexer, Curator and Critic, New York
Dr. Sabine Maria Schmidt, Curator Folkwang Museum. Essen, Germany
Javier Duero, Art Critic and Curator. Madrid, Spain
Fredi Casco, artist/editor/curator, Adviser Visual Arts Cultural Ministry Paraguay. Asuncion, Paraguay
Alicia Marvan, Programme Director, Guapamacataro Arts & Ecology Residency, Mexico
Kathleen Bühler, Curator Contemporary Art, Kunstmuseum Bern, Switzerland
Anne-Marie Melster, Director ARTPORT_making waves Spain
ARTPORT_making waves LAUNCHES ARTIST CALL FOR THIRD VIDEO COMPETITION ON GLOBAL WARMING At CINEMA PLANETA, CUERNAVACA, MEXICO, MARCH 11-19, 2011
New York, Valencia, Zurich :: COOL STORIES FOR WHEN THE PLANET GETS HOT III will be the third edition of an international art video competition on Global Warming by ARTPORT_making waves.
After two successful editions, launched at Scope Basel in 2007 and repeated at Focus Basel in 2009, ARTPORT_making waves for the third edition collaborates with CINEMA PLANETA, the award-winning International Environmental Film Festival in Cuernavaca, Mexico. We invite video artists worldwide to participate with works that explore Global Warming, focusing on forests in honor of the United Nation
s International Year of Forests 2011. Artists are encouraged to tell us their stories about deforestation or tree planting and its positive effects; they may also opt to approach the topic from symbolic, psychological or socio-political significances of forests. Our aim is to present a convincing survey of the current artistic exploration of this topic worldwide with 20 established and emerging artists, edited into a visually and conceptually coherent compilation by ARTPORT_making waves.
More information at www.artport-project.org
The artist call will be launched at CINEMA PLANETA, Cuernavaca, Mexico, from March 11-19, 2011 (www.cinemaplaneta.org). It will be posted on our organizations' websites, and disseminated through social and cultural networks. Artists from all over the world are in
vited to participate, in particular from areas that are most severely affected by climate change like Asia and Africa. We also hope to attract a wide diversity of artistic approaches. The deadline for submissions is May 9, 2011.
The ARTPORT_making waves directors will pre-select 40 finalists, which will then be presented to an international jury of art professionals to choose the 20 finalists and the final winner. The winner and the complete compilation will be premiered in Basel during ART BASEL '11.
· Isa Cucinotta, Director of Programming Operations at Film Society of Lincoln Center. New York
· Macu Moran, Art Researcher and Chief Curator of VideoArtWorld
· Lyle Rexer, Curator and Critic, New York
Maria Schmidt, Curator Folkwang Museum. Essen, Germany
· Javier Duero, Art Critic and Curator. Madrid, Spain
· Fredi Casco, artist/editor/curator, Adviser Visual Arts Cultural Ministry Paraguay. Asuncion, Paraguay
· Alicia Marvan, Programme Director, Guapamacataro Arts & Ecology Residency, Mexico
· Kathleen Bühler, Curator Contemporary Art, Kunstmuseum Bern, Switzerland
The winner will be awarded an artist residency oF 3 weeks in the artist residency Guapamacataro in Michoacan, Mexico (www.guapamacataro.org) in May/June 2012. ARTPORT_making waves collaborates with international residency programs in order to foment the exchange of artistic idea
s and promote intercultural understanding.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MONDAY, MAY 9, 2011.
FORMAT: quicktime or flash. We are looking for diversity of media (i.e. vector or pixel animation, hand drawn cell animation, computer character animations, macromedia flash (SWF) animation for the web, animated gif, video or digital film, super 8, photo stories, clay tools animations, with or without sound, etc.)
LENGTH: between 15 seconds and 3 minutes
SUBMISSION FEE: 30 USD or 20 EUR
DO NOT SEND ANY MATERIAL, ONLY A LINK TO THE SITE WHERE YOU PUBLISH YOUR VIDEO.
Only the 20 selected artists will be asked to submit original works that will be edited for the final compilation of COOL STORIES FOR WHEN THE PLANET GETS HOT III .
se email the following information to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
First and Last Name, Address, Country, Email address, Website, Phone/Mobile (include country code).
Short bio (2-3 paragraphs).
ABOUT YOUR WORK
Title and Year, Duration, Original format, Presentation format.ARTPORT_making waves
Link for submission.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1) One submission only per artist/ artist group. Collaborations are welcome.
2) Please do not submit work that is older than 3 years.
3) Please do not send any material for the pre-selection—we will not return it.
4) The 20 winners to show their work during ART BASEL 2011 will be notified immediately by e-mail and will be responsible to submit their work in a suitable fo
rmat by Friday, May 16, 2011 (details will be communicated to the finalists).
5) By participating in this contest you fully accept these terms and conditions and agree that ifyou are among the 20 selected artists, ARTPORT_making waves may show your work during ART BASEL from June 15-19, 2011, at a venue in Basel, Switzerland to be announced; post it on its website www.artport-project.org; show it at international art events and festivals through June 30, 2013; and use it in any of its communications and promotional material.
6) Incomplete applications will not be considered for participation.
7) Entry fee of 30 USD or 20 EUR (total amount to be received) must be wired by May 9, 2011 to the following bank account:
Banco Santander, Valencia, Spain
PLEASE NOTE: Your application is invalid if ARTPORT_making waves does not receive the admission fee by May 9, 2011.
ABOUT ARTPORT_making waves
ARTPORT_making waves is an international curators collective that raises awareness about current social and political issues worldwide through theme-oriented exhibitions, residency programs, and artists collaborations. ARTPORT_making waves aims at creating sustainable networks of artists, curators, galleries, art collectors, and critics to promote a true globalization of the artistic discourse, giving a voice to promising artists from all over the world. At the same time, ARTPORT_making waves encourages the cross-fertilization of art, science, and politics. The collaborative programs will bring forward new and exciting ways to inspire positive changes across borders.
First and Last Name / Address / Country / Email address / Website / Phone / Mobile (include country code) / Link for submission* / Short bio (2-3 paragraphs)
ABOUT YOUR WORK
Title and Year / Duration / Original format / Presentation format / Description (optional)
Please give us a heads-up and let us know if possible by April 15 if you plan to participate (simply mention your name; this is not a prerequisite to participate but facilitates a pre-count).
Please email the following information to:
Anne-Marie Melster, Director ARTPORT_making waves Spain. email@example.com - Cell Mexico: +52-1-777 496 7411 and firstname.lastname@example.org