Alan Sondheim on Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:20:48 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Fwd: Call for Participants | Listeners Project @ Hyde Park Art Center (fwd)

.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:39:56
From: Judd Morrissey <jmorrissey@saic.edu>
To: Judd Morrissey <jmorrissey@artic.edu>
Subject: Fwd: Call for Participants | Listeners Project @ Hyde Park Art Center

Dear friends / colleagues,

I am forwarding a call from Chris Cuellar, a Chicago-based artist working
within conceptual and digital poetics (and recent grad of our MFA Writing
program). Feel free to contact him and please pass along to other artists,
friends, students, etc. in your communities who might be interested.

very best to all
Judd

From: chris.israel.cuellar@gmail.com
Subject: Fwd: Call for Participants | Listeners Project @ Hyde Park Art
Center

Below is an official call for participants for a current project for the
fall. I know that all of you have many, many interesting contacts both far
and wide, and would be extremely grateful if you could forward to any
potentially interested parties. Please note that this call is for remote
performances (meaning they can happen almost anywhere, though time zone
differences are always pesky).

*****************************

LISTENERS PROJECT 2010

Call for Participants

In conjunction with the Hyde Park Art Center's Ground Floor exhibition, The
Listeners is a sound project that uses audio streaming technologies to
investigate the increasingly ubiquitous phenomenon of telepresence, a form
of liveness often associated with notions of network culture or ambient
awareness.

The project space within the gallery consists of two primary elements: a
recording station and a listening station. Ambient sound from the recording
station will be streamed over the internet to a performer in a remote
location, who will simply listen to the incoming audio stream. The
performer's directive is to listen and verbally describe everything that he
or she is hearing, while also streaming this verbal description back to the
gallery in real-time. The recording station inside the gallery will be fully
accessible to viewers, who, intentionally or not, will contribute audio
content to the outgoing stream. The listening station, however, will only be
accessible to a single viewer at a time, via one pair of headphones placed
in a close enough proximity to the recording station, where the viewer will
be able to listen to the performer's incoming verbal description of the
nearby sonic environment.

The material requirements necessary to perform this piece are minimal: a
computer, a microphone (most computers now have these built-in) and a steady
internet connection. All performers will receive step-by-step setup
instructions; no special technical experience is required.

The show will run from August 29 - October 31, 2010; with a listening
performance running from 1pm-5pm, once per day, seven days a week. I would
like to have enough performers enlisted such that all participants would
perform no more than two times. If you are interested in participating:
please contact me at chris.israel.cuellar@gmail.com

Chris Cuellar

[logo.gif]