Jameson Wallace on Tue, 2 Mar 2010 18:30:01 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> WORKSHOP: WEARABLE SOUND EXPERIMENTS

.

WORKSHOP: WEARABLE SOUND EXPERIMENTS

This four day workshop introduces basic soft electronics techniques for
constructing fabric sensors and wearable circuits. Instead of using
soldering irons and wire, we will use sewing needles and conductive
thread.The theme of the workshop is hacking sound toys into wearables.
During the workshop each participant will develop a wearable project,
paying attention to the placement of components and the relationship
between body, action and sound. Participants will design wearable
interactions and deal with issues such as comfort, functionality,
context and purpose.

We will introduce to a range of available and affordable materials,
tools and craft techniques for making soft electronics that are easy to
be continued at home.The textile components covered in this workshop
will include: soft and stretchy fabric traces, battery pouches,
hard/soft permanent and plugable connections, pressure, bend, tilt and
stretch sensors as well as modifying sound toy circuits to be integrated
in soft circuitry. Techniques will include: sewing, soldering,
embroidery, fusing, knitting, crochet as well as isolation techniques.

Last but not least, we will be raising this question throughout the
workshop: why we would ever want to map sounds to our bodies in the
first place, let alone embed electronics in our clothing.

Participants of all skill levels are welcome and encouraged to bring
their own old clothes to repurpose.

The workshop will be held in English by Hannah Perner-Wilson and Mika
Satomi. For more information: www.kobakant.at/DIY/

Maximum number of participants: 10

Dates: 15 - 18 March 2010 from 10 am to 5 pm.

The workshop will be held at:
Atelier Nords project room,
Kunstnernes Hus,
Wergelandsvn. 17,
0167 OSLO

Please apply by filling the form here: www.ateliernord.no.

Application deadline: 5 March 2010.
Participation fee: NOK 500.

If you have any questions please mail to:
office@ateliernord.no or call 23060880.