m on Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:46:57 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> _____-micro_research workshops_finale: November 28th 2PM: Irrational Computing with Ralf Baecker

.

November 28th 2PM: Irrational Computing with Ralf Baecker

Irrational Computing is a loose collection of ideas that includes
non-traditional logic gates, non-applied computing, minimal computing,
DIY transistors and homebrew CPUs.

During the workshop we will build elementary arithmetic and logic
units that enable us to realise expandable, networked and looped
digital circuits with complex behaviour. We will feed our circuits
with binary patterns and explore their visual and auditive responses.
The major component of this workshop is the transistor and its
switching capability. In addition the workshop will give an
introduction and guidance into building handcrafted macroscopic
mechanical logic gates. Feel free to bring some potential material
(old toys, junk, springs, levers etc.) for logic investigations.

Ralf Baecker (1977) lives and works in Bremen, Germany. After studies
in computer science he attended the Academy of Media Arts in Cologne.
In 2007/2008 he taught at the department for "Design of Medial
Environments" at the Bauhaus University in Weimar. Baecker builds
kinetic installations and sculptures which interlink symbolic and
physical spaces. His epistemological machines explore our imagination
of digital processes.

http://www.no-surprises.de/

No experience required

Fee: 10 euros (includes food)

Please email m@1010.co.uk to reserve a place (strictly limited)
---_______

The last in a series of regular workshops at _____-micro_research
[Berlin]. In 2010 we will initiate an interdisciplinary mobile
research laboratory devoted to the use of free software and open
hardware within the field of psychogeophysics. Field trips, working
groups and occassional workshops are planned.

---_______

Background:

Workshops led by field-expert practitioners extend over realms of code
and embedded code, environmental code, noise, transmission and
reception, and electromysticism. Workshops solely utilise free
software and GNU toolbase.

Practitioners at pickledfeet have included Martin Kuentz
(prd@scrying.org), Julian Oliver (http://julianoliver.com), Derek
Holzer (http://soundtransit.nl), Jeff Mann (http://jeffmann.com),
Martin Howse (http://1010.co.uk), Kathrin Guenter
(http://www.fotokatie.com), Alice Miceli
(http://www.premiosergiomotta.org.br/blog/chernobyl2), Fredrik
Olofsson (http://www.fredrikolofsson.com/), Florian Cramer
(http://cramer.plaintext.cc:70/), Brendan Howell, jo FRGMNT
grys(http://tob.de.vu/), mikomikona
http://www.zuviel.tv/mikomikona.html, Antony Hall
(http://antonyhall.net), Gijs Gieskes (http://gieskes.nl/), Alexei
Blinov (http://www.raylab.com), Valentina Vuksic
(http://sei-personaggi-part2.ch/), Dave Griffiths
(http://www.pawfal.org), Marc Boon (http://www.marcboon.com),
Christian Faubel, Cordula KÃrber, and Ralf Schreiber
(http://ralfschreiber.com/), Roman HÃfeli and Olsen Wolf
(http://www.netpd.org), Aymeric Mansoux and Jan-Kees van Kampen
(http://www.goto10.org), Danja Vassiliev and Gordan Savicic
(http://moddr.net/), Linda Hilfling