Sofia Oliveira on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 20:07:44 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Data Visualization & Processing Workshop, by Karsten Schmidt (toxi)

.

(apologies for cross-posting)

Data Visualization & Processing Workshop, by Karsten Schmidt (toxi)
20,21,22 April (10-18h), Lisbon, Portugal

Data is everywhere around us.

Through the ongoing technological developments and digitalization, ever more aspects of our lives become subject to scrutinizing and so become measurable. The rapidly increasing amount of data being published online constitutes great political, cultural, artistic and design challenges to society and individuals alike. This trend is accelerated by the increased introduction of ubiquitous computing systems into various aspects of our everyday.

Data visualization of large datasets still is a relative young field of design, but it also is a very necessary one. In this world of absolute data abundance we need new means to manage, combine, analyse & view these. We need to explore new visual languages and other forms of _expression_ to help us cope, find patterns and gain new insights or even just retain an overview of various topics.

Over the three days of this workshop we will explore the nature of data as much as various techniques to visualize it. We will focus on working with Processing, but also make use of other opensource tools & languages better suited for other parts of the visualization creation process. Since the workshop only lasts for 3 days, you?re expected to have a good understanding of at least the basic Processing concepts & programming constructs. That way we can focus better on the actual topic at hand.

About Karsten Schmidt
Karsten Schmidt (aka toxi) is a software developer, designer and artist with particular interest in computational design. For the past 15 years he?s been laterally involved in a wide range of digital disciplines. With his studio PostSpectacular, he is actively exploring possibilities at the intersection of design, art and software development. Collaborating cross-disciplinary with other creative minds, Karsten?s design approach is based on treating ideas as software at the heart, which in turn informs all other facets of each project. When not creating, he travels the world consulting companies and developer & designer communities about open source and employing collaborative tools. Karsten has been a key contributor to the Processing.org project and to various books about programming and graphic design, and his work has been featured in the press and exhibited internationally, including the MoMA, New York.
postspectacular.com

Dates and Place:
20,21,22 April (10-18h), Lisbon, Portugal
At Clube Português de Artes e Ideias, Largo Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro, 29, 2º (Chiado).

Info and inscriptions: http://www.cada1.net/?p=68
A CADA workshop
www.cada1.net

Parceiros | Partners