jeremy hunsinger on Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:56:10 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> cfp: Special Issue on Learning in Virtual Worlds

.
Apologies for x-posting-jh

CALL FOR PAPERS

special issue of Learning, Media and Technology

issue theme:  Learning in Virtual Worlds

Edited by Jeremy Hunsinger and Aleks Krotoski

Virtual worlds are learning worlds.

There is substantial evidence that people learn in virtual worlds.
While most learning in these spaces is informal, existing outside the
school curriculum, formalised learning environments have also been
developed in textual worlds, MOOs, MUSHes, MUDs and multi-media spaces
like ActiveWorlds(R), Second Life(R), World of Warcraft (R) to support
educational goals in primary, secondary, higher and lifelong learning
contexts.

The extensive writings on virtual reality and virtual worlds over the
past four decades have covered the breadth of the phenomena and
experiences of learning via CMC in these situated spaces; this call
for papers seeks scholarship that builds upon and extends those
accounts. We seek research that deals with learning and research in
social networks or among friends, learning through play, learning
through artistic creation and learning in unconventional virtual
realities. We seek papers that examine learning or modes of learning
that occurs in unexpected ways.

For example, workshops have been transformed with the inclusion of new
materials, like clay or other art equipment, encouraging participants
to express themselves through different modes of communication. Such
physical practices mirror the opportunities afforded in virtual
environments, increasing potential outcomes by breaking down borders
of expression, creating a place for play, and expanding discourse. We
seek research that aims to capture similar alternative practices in
learning within virtual worlds.

While all forms of scholarship and research are welcome, we prefer
theoretically and empirically grounded study in the social or
behavioral sciences. We seek a special issue that exemplifies
methodological pluralism. The use of visual evidence and
representations is also encouraged.

Submission guidelines:

This special issue is edited by Jeremy Hunsinger and Aleks Krotoski.
Please contact them at jhuns@vt.edu and akrotoski@yahoo.com to discuss
your submissions. The editors welcome contributions from new
researchers and those who are more well-established. Submitted
manuscripts will be subject to peer review.

Length of papers will vary as per disciplinary expectations, but we
encourage papers of around 6000 words. Short discussion papers of 2000
words on relevant subjects are also welcomed for the 'Viewpoints'
section. Learning, Media and Technology submission guidelines and
referencing styles will be followed [see: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/17439884.asp
]

The guest editors will consider papers received by March 15, 2009.
Fewer than 10 papers will be accepted. The special issue will be
published in early 2010. Please send papers to jhuns@vt.edu, clearly
indicating that your submission is for the Special Issue on learning
in virtual worlds.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
Information Ethics Fellow
Center for Information Policy Research

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
-Jules de Gaultier

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments