Paul Brown on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 05:02:11 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Unique MA to close

.
Please forward to other concerned groups and individuals

It has come to my attention that the MA Creative Writing and New Media
run by Sue Thomas and Kate Pullinger is being closed down by the De
Montfort University in Leicester, UK.  This is a unique programme and
one of only a few worldwide that address the future of literature and
writing in the networked age and it is run by two internationally
recognised authorities in the field.

As CAS members will know this institution made a pioneering
contribution to the computer arts in the early years and it is to be
regretted that the university can now consider closing a leading-edge
programme that builds on such a pre-eminent history.  It is my opinion
that they should instead be promoting the MA as a flagship opportunity
to consolidate DMU's reputation in an field that addresses important
and timely scholarly, social and economic issues regarding our future
in a networked world.

The official announcement is here:

   http://nlabnetworks.typepad.com/cwnm/

And it is discussed on Chris Meade's blog (where you can leave your
own comments and protests):

   http://bookfutures.blogspot.com/2008/11/recessing.html

If you wish to contribute to the debate (at Chris Meade's blog) please
do so as soon as possible because the window for changing the
university's decision is closing.

Paul Brown
Chair, the Computer Arts Society

====
Paul Brown - based in the UK Aug-Dec 2008
mailto:paul@paul-brown.com == http://www.paul-brown.com
UK Mobile +44 (0)794 104 8228 == USA fax +1 309 216 9900
Skype paul-g-brown
====
Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html