ANAT Communications on Mon, 22 Sep 2008 23:47:38 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Our Space; Our Future Press Release

.
Media Release
For Immediate Release

Our Space: Our Future Dialogues surrounding the artistic and political
uses of public space are vital for creating a healthy cultural
environment. The Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT) are
committed to this growth, having recently produced the Graffiti
Research Lab masterclass in conjunction with Carclew Youth Arts and the
Adelaide Bank Festival of Arts and its associated Filter Magazine UR
Space, which discusses artists' interventions in public spaces. In 2007
ANAT presented still/open emerging technology lab, which travelled
across Australia in pursuit of open access to knowledge and developing
resources for collaboration and distributed development.

Two upcoming Australian events Electrofringe and Making Links will
present two very different perspectives on our space and our future.

Electrofringe 2008, a festival of electronic arts and culture, has a
partial focus on the future beyond 2020 with international discussion
on "possible futures for community building" (the pros, cons, good,
bad, ugly - things that will both help and hinder) incorporating points
from web 2.0 and social networking through to new ways of grass roots
development given our very connected and still disjointed lives between
continents.

The festival's eleventh year will be held over five days from 2nd - 6th
of October 2008. The program presents workshops, panel discussions,
masterclasses, presentations, exhibitions and screenings. ANAT's
embracing sound program manager Sarah Last will be presenting on the
panel, Together for the Foreseeable Future with fellow guests
Alessandro Ludovico (Bari, Italy), Xtine Burrough (Los Angeles, USA),
John Jacobs (Sydney) and Somaya Langley (Sydney/Berlin, Germany) on
Friday 3rd October, 10:00am - 11:30am. http://www.electrofringe.net/.

The Making Links conference is the leading forum for the non-profit
sector to showcase work and to explore current and emerging new media
and information and communications technology (ICT).

The 5th Making Links conference will be held at Melbourne University
from the 11-13th of November 2008. Register before Monday 22nd
September for the early bird discount. ANAT's Filter Magazine #65, This
is not Open Source will be appearing in all conference packs! To
register for the conference visit to http://www.makinglinks.org.au, or
contact Finn O'Keefe at fokeefe@afao.org.au.

ANAT encourages you to attend the above events and if in financial need
there is still time for you to apply for our quick response
Professional Development Travel Grant (PDTG). Applications close 30
September 2008 for funding to be used from 21 October to 31 January
2008. For more information please visit www.anat.org.au or contact
Warren Veljanovski at anat@anat.org.au or 08 8231 9037.

ANAT is assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia
Council for the Arts http://www.ozco.gov.au its arts funding and
advisory body, by the South Australian Government through Arts SA
http://www.arts.sa.gov.au and the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, an
initiative of the Australian, State and Territory Governments.