Milena Placentile on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 03:19:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Video Pool Media Arts Centre is Pleased to Present Robert Hengeveld's "Staging the Gap"

.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Video Pool Media Arts Centre presents Robert Hengeveld's "Staging the
Gap"

Winnipeg, MB (July 10, 2008) – Video Pool Media Arts Centre is very
pleased to present Staging the Gap, a provocative media installation
by Toronto-based artist, Robert Hengeveld.

Staging the Gap is a miniature model of a concert stage with silently
animated lights and smoke. The work explores the relationship of fact
and fiction in a technologically mediated world. Hengeveld critically
reflects on the mechanisms used to deliver popular culture by
focusing on how visual effects – stage lights, pyrotechnics, and dry
ice – are used at concerts to shape our understanding of what we
hear.  Ignoring society’s desire for the spectacle of performance,
the stage created by the artist remains empty while a precisely
orchestrated light show plays out.

Accompanying the miniature stage is a series of headphone each
playing a different audio track specifically composed in response to
the orchestrated light show.  This inverts the traditional
relationship of audio and visual experience in concert settings and
addresses the role of audio in shaping our understanding of the world.

Hengeveld's model stage measures 2.5m2  to establish a scale at which
viewers are encompassed by the work, yet still feel slightly
detached. Next, he coaxes audiences from their suspended disbelief
into his alternate reality by offering a familiar space and
encouraging them to relate in a familiar manner. This subtle slip
from the norm creates a situation that challenges preconceptions
while fostering a reevaluation of our spatial environments and our
positions within them.

This exhibition runs from July 29 – August 21, 2008 and will be
available Tuesday – Friday from
12:00 to 5:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Square (360 Main Street, below Portage
and Main, Concourse level, Unit 3).

Exhibition Launch: July 25 from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Artist talk begins at 6:00 p.m. in Video Pool's Studio (100 Arthur
Street, 3rd Floor); Reception will follow

ARTIST BIO -- Robert Hengeveld completed his MFA at the University of
Victoria in 2005 and received a Fine Arts Diploma and Certificate
from Georgian College, and an AOCAD from the Ontario College of Art
and Design. He has exhibited his work across Canada and
internationally, and has participated in artist residencies in both
Canada and Scotland. He is currently living and working in Toronto.

These exhibition is presented thanks to generous financial support
from: The Canada Council for the Arts, The Manitoba Arts Council, and
the Winnipeg Arts Council

VIDEO POOL MEDIA ARTS CENTRE is a non-profit artist run centre
dedicated to advancing the discipline of media art by providing media
artists, non-profit organizations and community groups with access to
professional video and media equipment, training, distribution, and
programming. Video Pool strives to be a national leader fostering
innovation, experimentation, critical dialogue, and advocacy in media
arts.

Contact:

Milena Placentile, Programming Coordinator
204.949.9134 ext 1
vpprogramming@videopool.org
videopool.org // videopool.blogspot.com

Image: http://videopool.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/07/10/