Art That Binds at the Queen West Art Crawl
Trinity Bellwoods Park
Saturday, September 15 and Sunday, September 16, 11am - 5pm
Meet Canadian royalty, kick back with the top 40 beats of a cross-dressing boychoir, play a game of zombie-tag at the supermarket and take an intimate walking tour with local personalities. Art That Binds is a wild and hilarious performance art series curated by Shannon Cochrane for Artscape's Queen West Art Crawl, an annual weekend-long festival celebrating Toronto's Queen Street West, happening September 14 - 16, 2007.
Trinity Bellwood's Park becomes animated by some of Toronto's best loved performance artists including Anthea Foyer, Brenda Goldstein, Tanya Mars, Christina Zeidler, Miss Canadiana, Boychoir of Lesbos, The Movement Movement, The Winking Circle, Songs of the New Erotics (W.A. Davison), Laura Nanni and Adam Paolozza.
Two days of performance tableaus, tours and try-outs! Offerings include:
- Audience interactive game performance Time Out/Game On (complete with awards ceremony) led by Laura Nanni and Adam Paolozza
- On the spot bike modifications and eccentrification inspiration from bike/art activists The Winking Circle
- A durational performance inspired by one of the seven deadly sins from national icon, artist Tanya Mars
- Show Me Yours, the latest installment in the Christina Zeidler film trilogy inspired by Toronto's west end artists and residents
- Anthea Foyer's Hidden Toronto: Intimate Walking Tours reenact the tales told by some of Queen Street's more colourful residents
- The Movement Movement (Jenn Goodwyn and Jessica Rose) run through Trinity Bellwoods Park and create a land sculpture made by jogging
- The Boychoir of Lesbos serenade passersby and the crowds from the stone gates of the park
- A magical suitcase plays a key role in the durational performance by Songs of the New Erotics (W. A. Davison)
- A special appearance by Miss Canadiana
- A playful "push-pull" performance by Brenda Goldstein
Art That Binds happens on both Saturday, September 15 and Sunday, September 17 at Trinity Bellwoods Park, with the exception of Christina Zeidler's Show Me Yours which screens at the Gladstone Hotel Friday, September 14 only at 9:30pm, along with the first two installments of Zeidler's film cycle, Queen Street by Numbers at 10:30pm and House Call at 11:00pm.
JOIN US! The Queen West Art Crawl kicks off with a LAUNCH PARTY at the Gladstone Hotel. On Friday, September 14, starting at 7pm, you can take in all of the Gladstone Hotel's Queen West Art Crawl events and party until the last person is left standing!
ABOUT THE QUEEN WEST ART CRAWL
Organized by Artscape, the fifth annual Queen West Art Crawl is one of the largest multi-disciplinary, community-based festivals that Toronto has to offer. In association with Artscape's community partners, Parkdale Liberty Economic Development Corporation, Parkdale Village BIA, Gladstone Hotel, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Workman Arts, West Queen West BIA, and 401 Richmond, the Queen West Art Crawl celebrates the buzz, character, edge, authenticity and soul of historic Queen Street West with an annual weekend-long festival happening September 14 - 16, 2007. www.torontoartscape.on.ca/qwac
Artscape is grateful to our Queen West Art Crawl Supporters: ING Direct, NOW Magazine, CHUM 104.5 FM; Queen West Art Crawl Funders: City of Toronto - Community Festival & Events Grant, Toronto Arts Council, Toronto Community Foundation; Artscape Operational Funders: TEDCO, City of Toronto, Ontario Trillium Foundation
Liz Kohn, Director of Communications, Artscape
T: 416-392-1038, ext. 25
Celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, Artscape is a not-for-profit enterprise engaged in culture-led regeneration. Artscape's work includes anchoring creative communities within affordable spaces and building authentic and dynamic places by connecting creative and cultural resources. www.torontoartscape.on.ca
This email is part of Artscape's regular communication series to colleagues, friends and supporters. Please excuse any duplication. We respect your privacy - your email address will not be shared with outside groups.
To unsubscribe: reply by return email with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.