Noah Wardrip-Fruin on Tue, 8 Aug 2006 23:14:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Faculty Position, UC San Diego

.
I'm on the search committee for the position described below, at UC San Diego. I think it would be particularly interesting if we had applicants creating/studying free software for the "work and communication" area -- one of reasons I thought this might be good to distribute via nettime. Perhaps a few play/game scholars are out there as well?

We start reviewing applications October 1st, and there's no harm in getting things to us early...

Noah

===

The Department of Communication at the University of California, San Diego (www.communication.ucsd.edu) seeks to fill a position at either the assistant, tenure-track or associate professor, with tenure to begin July 1, 2007 in the area of Communication and the Person which focuses on symbolic communication and mediated human activity. We invite applications from scholars whose work concerns either of two areas: 1) *play and communication*, broadly conceived to include traditional forms of children's play activity as well as emergent new forms such as videogames, MMOGs and various forms of fantasy. 2) *work and communication* in important social institutions involving collaboration within teams and groups in one location or across geographically and temporally disparate locations. Possible workplaces may include but are not limited to: newsrooms, assembly lines, hospitals, courthouses, museums and software design teams. We are particularly interested in scholars whose work is attentive the many forms of difference -- of ethnicity, gender, etc. -- at work in these areas.

Review of applications will begin Oct. 1 and continue until position is filled. Send vita, statement of research and teaching interests, one work sample (such as a recent publication), and contact information for three references to
Prof. Michael Cole
Dept. of Communication (0503)
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0503

Applicants are also invited to provide comments about his/her leadership activities and/or contributions to diversity. UCSD is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity.