timothy murray on Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:01:30 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [event] Renate Ferro: "Anamnesis: Lyotard Revisited"

.

Apologies for double postings.

Cornell University Art Department    Renate Ferro
PRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release
THIS IS THE LAST WEEK OF THE SHOW--HOPE YOU ARE ABLE TO
VISIT!
          A three-channel video installation by Renate Ferro is
currently featured in the Cornell University Faculty Show at the
Herbert F. Johnson Museum on the Cornell University Campus in Ithaca,
New York.  The show is on view until March 12, 2006. Anamnesis:
Lyotard Revisited is a site-specific, three channel installation
featuring digital experimentation with original super-8 film that
Ferro shot in 1983 while visiting the French philosopher
Jean-Francois Lyotard and his wife at the time, Andre Lyotard-May.
Ferro writes in her artist's statement:

" My recollection of that extended weekend spent with the French
philosopher Jean-Francois Lyotard and his family in Fillerval,
France, is hazy like the washed out, grainy Super 8 film I used to
record our time together. During that summer Lyotard was formulating
a prospectus for one of the first electronic exhibitions entitled
"Les Immateriaux" or "Immaterials".  As chief curator of the
exhibition held at the Centre Pompidou (over twenty years ago in
March to July 1985), the show was a first attempt to establish a
relationship between scientific and artistic modes in light of
evolving technology and postmodernism. Lyotard was preoccupied with
the idea that reality and representation are "incommensurable".  That
is to say, that a fundamental incompatibility exists between the
world and the images or judgments we make, therefore preventing the
two from being totally identical. My recollection reflects the gap
linked to the incommensurable possibility between reality and its
representation.  Through my artistic process of transposing analog
celluloid film with digitized pixels, in editing and compositing the
sequences, and by juxtaposing the analog world of the writing table
with the digitized pixels of this three channel digital video I
create an immaterial 'lack of reality in reality.' "

Anamnesis:  Lyotard Revisited also features an audio archive of
narratives relating to her visit with Lyotard as he was curating Les
Immateriaux. What interests Ferro in this project as in other recent
projects is how personal memory intersects with others' recollections
and how the intersections of anamnesis become part of a collective
history.

Renate Ferro is a Visiting Assistant Professor of Art at Cornell
University in Ithaca, NY.

The Herbert F. Johnson Museum of art is located on the Cornell
University Campus in Ithaca, NY. 14853.   Museum hours are Tuesday -
Saturday, 10 am - 5 pm and Sunday, 12 - 5 pm.

--
Renate Ferro
Visiting Professor of Art

--- end forwarded text

--
Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English

office: 607-255-4012
e-mail: tcm1@cornell.edu