Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:23:51 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [event] [London] eForum Keynote Seminar: IPR and DRM (London 14 Mar 06)

.

=46rom: Nicolette.Nel@artscouncil.org.uk
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:19:52 -0000

Westminster eForum Keynote Seminar: IPR and DRM
Lewis Media Centre, Millbank Tower, Millbank, Westminster, London SW1P
4RS
Morning, 14th March 2006
Event supported by Arts Council England

I am writing to invite you or a colleague you might like to nominate
to attend the above seminar.

The aim of this, the second seminar the Westminster eForum has
conducted on Intellectual Property, is to provide a platform for
latest thinking on this important set of issues and offer
stakeholders a timely meeting point for different perspectives.

As importantly, we seek to serve policy makers in Parliament and
Government by adding to their understanding of the relationships
between viewpoints and so provide context for decision making.

The overall theme is one of a weighing up of what are the
characteristics of an IPR and DRM landscape - commercially and
politically, and with a view to the international realities - that
will most benefit the UK=C5fs creative economy.

Planned sessions include a discussion of the new relationships which
are emerging between copyright owners and others and - with
established examples of best practice - the implications across a
range of content sectors. Delegates will also discuss latest
approaches to DRM - including practicalities such as interoperability
- and the implications for the global market.

A key output of the seminar will be a comprehensive printed record of
the proceedings - published as a high-quality bound briefing document
for Ministers and officials at DCMS, DTI, and other departments
affected by the issues, Parliamentarians with a special interest in
these areas, other agencies and the European Commission. It will also
be made available more widely. All delegates will receive free PDF
copies and are invited to contribute to the content.

We are delighted that Derek Wyatt MP, Chair of the All-Party
Parliamentary Internet Group, has agreed to give a forward looking
address on the implications from his Group's enquiry into DRM, which
will have just been published. Lynne Brindley will also deliver a
keynote speech, on new initiatives and insights into the way forward
for public policy from the unique perspective of the British Library,
of which she is Chief Executive.

In keeping with all Westminster eForum meetings, the agenda is
structured to be impartial and cross party.  Other confirmed speakers
include: Mark Bide, Senior Consultant, Rightscom; Richard Charkin,
Chief Executive, Macmillan, and Chair, Publishers Association; Nic
Garnett, The MCPS-PRS Alliance; Andy Hobsbawm, European Chairman and
co-founder, Agency.com; Jill Johnstone, Head of Policy, Research and
Strategy, National Consumer Council; Laurie Kaye, Laurence Kaye
Solicitors; and Bill Thompson, journalist and technology critic.
=46urther senior participants are being approached - representing a
range of interests and perspectives - and we are awaiting
confirmation of availability.

We are also delighted that Baroness Buscombe has agreed to chair part
of the event.

This seminar is supported by Arts Council England.

As well as government officials, who have expressed strong interest
in this seminar, we expect attendees to be a senior and informed
group numbering more than 100, including Members of both Houses of
Parliament, senior representatives from industry, interest groups,
academia and the national media.

I have attached a copy of the draft agenda below my signature so you
can get a feel for the day.

Booking arrangements
To book places, please use the following email address:
pvg@westminsterforumprojects.co.uk or make a credit card booking by
phone (01276 489144). This will be taken as a confirmed booking and
will be subject to our terms and conditions below.

Options and charges are as follows:
=B7        Places at the Westminster eForum Keynote Seminar: IPR and
DRM (including PDF copy of the briefing document) are =A3165.00 plus
VAT (=A3193.88);
=B7        Concessionary rate places for