Mirjam Struppek on Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:11:16 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [call] Official Call for Proposals for Interative City @ ISEA2006 + ZeroOne Festival

------ Weitergeleitete Nachricht
Von: "Eric Paulos" <eric@paulos.net>
Antworten an: <eric@paulos.net>
Datum: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 00:40:21 -0700
An: <urban-atmospheres@mailman.berkeley.intel-research.net>
Betreff: [Urban Atmospheres] Official Call for Proposals for Interative City
@ ISEA2006 + ZeroOne Festival

OFFICIAL CALL FOR PROPOSALS

http://www.urban-atmospheres.net/ISEA2006/

INTERACTIVE CITY

ISEA2006 + ZeroOne San Jose
5-13 August 2006

KEY DATES:
        Proposals Due:          9 December 2005
        Final Decisions:     10 February 2006

        "Never confuse the map with the Territory"
    - Empire of the Sun, J.G. Ballard

The city has always been a site of transformation: of lives, of populations,
even of civilizations. With the rise of the mega city, however; with the
advent of 24/7 rush hours; with the inexorable conversion of public space
into commercial space; with the rise of surveillance; with the
computer-assisted precision of redlining; with the viral advance of the
xenophobic, the contemporary city is weighted down. We dream of something
more. Not something planned and canned, like another confectionary
spectacle. Something that can respond to our dreams. Something that will
transform with us, not just perform change on us, like an operation.

The Interactive City seeks urban-scale projects for which the city is not
merely a palimpsest of our desires but an active participant in their
formation. From dynamic architectural skins to composite sky portraits to
walking in someone else's shoes to geocaches of urban lore to hybrid games
with a global audience, projects for the Interactive City should transform
the "new" technologies of mobile and pervasive computing, ubiquitous
networks, and locative media into experiences that matter.

The Interactive City is one of four major themes to be featured at ISEA2006
Symposium + ZeroOne San Jose Festival. Interactive City proposals should
embrace aspects of the city of San José specifically and/or the surrounding
metropolitan San Francisco Bay Area. Please visit the Interactive City web
page for a list of early round accepted projects and a partial list of urban
sub-themes.

http://www.urban-atmospheres.net/ISEA2006/

Let us experience your vision of the Interactive City!

Eric Paulos
Interactive City, Chair
ISEA2006