Lattanzi, Barbara K via nettime-l on Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:02:21 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Further on Swipe

Hi Michael and all.

There is a book that Lynn Margulis edited (with René Fester) from a 1989 conference, with 25 or so essays by different authors:

Symbiosis as a Source of Evolutionary Innovation: Speciation and Morphogenesis (1991, MIT Press)

Margulis' opening essay gives a history of the concept of symbiogenesis. It also has a handy one-page list of terms and definitions.

Other essays of note from the Symbiosis book include two that I will mention because their ideas are deployed in the last chapter of Manuel DeLanda's book, Assemblage Theory (2016). I think DeLanda's book also has relevance to ideas about – in your words -- "the nested forms extending across space and time."

So those 2 particular essays and their authors in the Symbiosis book are:

--Jan Sapp, "Living Together: Symbiosis and Cytoplasmic Inheritance"
--Sorin Sonea, "Bacterial Evolution without Speciation"

Best regards,

Barbara Lattanzi

Message: 2