Andrew Ross via nettime-l on Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:55:36 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Statement by Miriam Margolyes on Israels conduct of the war in Gaza

It may be true that Gaza has been the burial ground of Western humanism as
well as the open grave of so many Palestinians. Who should listen, anymore,
to Western lectures about civil reason, or pablum about co-existence in the
lands between the river and the sea? Let alone pay lip service to the
fleabitten corpse that Brian names as "bourgeois justice." But that is not
to say that internationalism has no role to play in the current
conjuncture. Zionism has always been
an international project, totally reliant on the say-so of the dominant
colonial power, on lavish funding from world Zionist organizations, and on
FDI from advanced fractions of global capital. Its ability to quash
opposition in country after country has also been reliant on the
international reach of its advocates. That is exactly why the
international solidarity movement has also been so important over the
years, and indeed, the only silver lining in the last six months has been
the depth and scope of organizing all across the world, as tens of millions
have been newly drawn into the Palestinian cause. I have long maintained
that organizing for BDS has been as much about confronting repression in
our own states as about sanctioning the Israeli state. The crackdown on
pro-Palestinian speech and action of the last six months has fully
displayed that lesson, not only in the conduct of our political class but
also among the leadership of almost every institution we have any contact
with or experience at the hands of. They will survive of course, but we
should never let them forget how wretchedly they behaved in the face of an
irrefutable genocide.

ar/

https://andrewtross.com