Francis Nowak via nettime-l on Thu, 7 Mar 2024 14:41:06 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> nettime-l Digest, Vol 9, Issue 6

> BUT GRANDPA'S GOT MORE WRINKLES THAN DAD

What's the traditional purpose of a party? The "OLD OLD OLD" problem of
politics is that printing is a capital-intensive game. A run of posters is
expensive. A TV segment is expensive. All forms of communication reward
scale: a big run is cheaper per-issue than a short run.

This is not really a politics problem: it's a technical problem. Exceptions
to this rule have typically relied on state subsidies for political
parties: e.g. the German system.

So you get the growth of big-tent parties that can effectively pool
resources, suppress internal disputes, and essentially produce bigger print
runs than their adversaries. Parties that have such economic, social, and
cultural capital that you must be part of them to be anything to do with
politics at all.

The problem of these parties is they push people together that frankly hate
each other. The UK liberal party went from a dominant position to a dead
party, despite all of its entrenched advantages, essentially because of
personal enmity between Lloyd George and Asquith.

Even with the ferocious repressive mechanisms at work in the UK political
system: the whip's office, the deep connections between press and party,
the center still could not hold.

Today, the omnidirectional mutual hatred of the big tent parties is still
there, but the centripetal forces are weaker. The disciplinary tactics have
started to break down - the resources available to defectors and outsiders
are much greater. Everybody is leaking. Threats made in private become
uncontrollable scandals.

You can't hold the center together when everybody has the ability to
publish their opinions, without the party, or even against the party, to
88.7 million followers. That's how many people were following Trump on
twitter at his height. That's why no matter how much the Republican party
resisted it, they've eventually come to heel. Trump is a weird, atypical
politician precisely because he doesn't fit the politics of party line and
teamwork that characterizes a big, high-fixed-capital enterprise.

Biden is an absolutely typical politician for that system. If he wasn't
president, he'd be on the board of a defense contractor. If this was 1990,
he would crush Trump. Trump wouldn't even be imaginable. He would be doing
his reality TV show, and the audience would be laughing at him.

Another note to Nixon: he came from a time where you could be an
exceptionally ugly politician, and he had the misfortune to outlive it. His
face dripped under the TV set lights. He looked like a homunculus.

The problem with Biden is not about Biden: the problem is he's outlived his
political moment. If this was 1984, dementia would be no problem
whatsoever. Reagan won with a landslide. Nobody would have had a camera at
a small brewery, and if they did, it would have been Super-8. The clip
would have got absolutely nowhere, and the incoherence would have been lost
in the mists of low-fi TV screens, if they ever got that far.

Macron or Le Pen, Roxas or Duterte, Clinton or Trump, Massa or Millei - and
every time, the reason it's Macron, or Roxas, or Clinton, or Massa, is
because the threat of the right is so great you are told to circle the
wagons around a centrist candidate. And instead of coming up with
strategies and candidates that fit the new conditions, you're supposed to
blame spooky Putin and to pretend that an old man is not old, while you
roll the dice on your basic rights.