Joseph Rabie via nettime-l on Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:48:23 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> on leadership and older women

Hello Vesna,

Yes, I agree with all of what you write. I have in the past, and continue today, to experiment collective forms of decision making.

>> Considering it a given to have to choose a leader, or accept one being imposed, to whom one is willing to cede all personal responsibility.
> this is a very centralised & hierarchical & authoritarian view on "leadership”.

You are right, this phrase is ambiguous insofar as it implies acceptance of such practices, which I don’t.

It was written as a critique of what is a social “given” in current societies. Representative democracy where politicians woo the electorate, but once elected, expect them (us) to shut up and follow. And who consider all their decisions as legitimate, whatever contestation there might be.

Joe.