Donatella Della Ratta via nettime-l on Fri, 8 Dec 2023 14:37:58 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> She, He, and It : Discussing AI and journalism from a global South perspective.

Hi Nettimers

just wanted to let you know that with Untold Stories (the NGO I co-founded
back in 2012 with Syrian activists and media professionals) we'll be
hosting a panel discussion on AI from a Global South perspective featuring
Milagros Miceli from DAIR, Hadi al Khatib from Syrian Archive, Nadine
Moawad from Nasawiya, and our own amazing Tatiana Bazzichelli:)

It should be live streamed here https://www.instagram.com/untoldstories_com/
 at 6pm Berlin time
If anyone is in town, this is the address where the conference will be
held: Lucy-Lameck-Straße 32, 12049 Berlin, Germany
best
donatella

She, He, and It

Discussing AI and journalism from a global South perspective.

The impact of artificial intelligence will radically change how we produce
and consume media content. Its consequences will be even more significant
for the activities of media and cultural organizations working in or with
the Global South.

The event will invite experts who will try, if not to give answers, to
clarify what we could expect from the future, focussing on topics such as the
impact of AI on journalism in authoritarian systems, the status of evidence
images, feminist movements in the MENA region, as well as the labor
conditions behind it.

Moderator:

   -

   Tatiana Bazzichelli is the founder and artistic director of Disruption
   Network Lab, Berlin.

Panellists:

   -

   Hadi al-Khatib (Mnemonic/Syrian Archive): an archivist and activist
   collecting, verifying, and investigating citizen-generated data as evidence
   of human rights violations since 2011.
   -

   Dr Milagros Miceli (Weizenbaum Institut): a sociologist and computer
   scientist investigating how ground-truth data for machine learning is
   produced.
   -

   Nadine Moawad: a feminist activist based in Beirut, Lebanon. Moawad is
   one of the founders of Nasawiya, a feminist collective.

   Main theme: The event aims to discuss the impact of Artificial
   intelligence on the work of organizations such as SFJN and Untold
   (organizations from the Global South, targeting publics under authoritarian
   rule and often forced to emigrate; and working with journalism with a
   special attention to marginalized groups and through gender perspectives)
   and their targeted publics.

Donatella Della Ratta
twitter @donatelladr