John Hopkins via nettime-l on Sat, 4 Nov 2023 05:44:19 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Report: The Network State conference @Taets, Zaandam (30 Oct 2023)

Howard's "BrainStorms" virtual community is going strong coming up on 25 years or so. I've been a somewhat regular participant since meeting Howard back in 1997 or so. It never had anything to do with blockchain. It runs on the Caucus platform. I visit it almost daily, as do most participants. A good group of people, yup, oddballs, depending on your definition of the term; widely dispersed globally, though the demographic does skew white and well-educated, and aging, as we all do. Gender mix approximates wider populations. There are frequent IRL path crossings whenever possible when folks move around. 'Policing' is non-existent, though one can block postings from other users (so as not to see them locally). I have benefited psychospiritually and intellectually from participating ... It merged with another similar community, "MetaNetwork" about ten years ago, so it is now referred to as BSMN informally.