Louis Rawlins via nettime-l on Thu, 19 Oct 2023 00:11:36 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Against techno-optimism

Ben, all on this thread. Thank you.

I’m writing on an iPhone, broadcasting thoughts to ya’ll from a sweltering-hot park in San Francisco (which used to be “north” of “silicon valley”).

I am forever surprised at the sway of an individual (Andreessen), who was just some geek at NCSA developing Mosaic, a neat replacement to Lynx.

How quickly and easily we lose grasp of our roots in favor of “techno-optimistic” views that can leave some one, somewhere, as the loser. Your redactions gets to that core, Ben.

Makes me heavy and sad, but I’m glad to know there are still pockets of folks willing to look and see these gaps. Some day we may learn to be happy and generous with what we’ve accomplished as humans.

Peace ya’ll,  Louis