Andrew Ross via nettime-l on Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:07:26 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> nettime-l Digest, Vol 4, Issue 19

 One of the reasons for the longevity of the camps is the strongly observed
principle that Palestinian refugees will never leave them except to return
to their pre-1948 village homes. So there has been determined internal
resistance to integrate into the cities and societies where those expelled
during the Nakba and Naksa sought refuge. It even took a while for camps to
accept UNRWA’s offer of more “permanent” building materials. Over the
decades, the makeshift urbanism of the camps evolved, and the PLO promise
that the camps would never be charged for utilities helped to reinforce
both the provisional or “temporary” status, and made them permanently
affordable. Leaving is less of a taboo than it used to be, though those who
do move tend to keep addresses in their camps as a registered link to the
original villages. In the late 1970s, Israeli authorities tried to
encourage residents of Gaza’s refugee camps to disperse, by subsidizing
“build your own” houses outside the camps; some took up the offer, in
accord with the condition that their former homes in the camps be
demolished. But the program was fiercely opposed by the PLO, and the UN
General Assembly went so far as to pass two resolutions of disapproval,
demanding that the residents be returned to the camps because the
resettlement had constituted “a violation of their inalienable right to
return.” Highly ironic, of course, in view of the second Nakba that’s
happening now. Gazans are being told to leave their homes before they get
permanently flattened—apparently with the approval of Western powers and
liberal elites.

    I know much less about camps in Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria—and I have
not visited any. But in addition to the “temporariness” principle, camp
residents in those countries are socially marginalized and disdained as
refugees are almost everywhere. So, even though Palestinians are a sizable
portion of the population—more than 50% in Jordan—they generally don’t have
access to jobs in government, above a certain level. Ruling elites in these
countries, far from regarding Palestinians as “pawns,” have progressively
withdrawn their support for the Palestinian cause, even where leadership
has resisted normalization with Israel. The current onslaught on Gaza—I
will not call it genocidal, though many are doing so—might pressure or
shame them into second thoughts, but the corruption may be too deeply
ingrained.

   For Ghassan Kanafani's views on those elites, see his riveting interview
with a hapless Australian journalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWXTzAx0KbQ

ar/
https://andrewtross.com