David Garcia via nettime-l on Sun, 8 Oct 2023 13:19:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Beyond the deplorables

My hope that US nettimer would throw some light Hillary Clinton’s weirdly stupid and sinister outburst was richly rewarded by Ted’s detailed and illuminating analysis, particularly the possibility that it maybe a way of firing up her base by borrowing from the populist playbook of deploying an outrageous and attention-grabbing statement.

Even richer was the descriptive paragraph describing Clinton as representing “a nexus of political-economic structural biases hidden behind a glass of Pinot Grigio and repartee made up of denialist, 'splainy "truths." Going on to describe a “fragile edifice of self-seeking hypocrisy”

It is this focus on Clinton’s hypocrisy (and presence of hypocrisy general in democratic politics) that suggests a clue to the paradox of the Trumpian trope of the honest liar. It suggests not so much the value of honesty as the value of ‘sincerity’. The phenomenon of the sincere fraud often being preferred to the honest hypocrite. In a recent podcast (a discussion between the novelist Zadie Smith and political philosopher David Runciman) Trump is described as a Dickensian figure (vivid but one dimensional) in which the name, the mask and what is behind the mask all line up creating a kind of literal integrity -what you see is what you get-. In contrast Clinton as the honest hypocrite dances around the fact that we are all playing two or more roles. But struggles to deal with the fact that she is leading a double life. When the test came people picked the sincere liar over the honest hypocrite.

In the same podcast novelist Zadie Smith compares the public for this kind of double think to the split over the OJ Simpson trial. She describes how when she first went to the US she couldn’t understand why her black friends were defending what to her was a clear miscarriage of justice. To her it was clear he was was guilty. But her friends would insist that “this court system is guilty”. So (the argument goes) it really doesn’t matter whether he is guilty or not we are going to break this system”. This approach is hard for those on the liberal left who like to think of themselves as rational actors to take on a position so deeply irrational. But should we be facing the fact that its impossible to ignore the fact that the irrational in politics makes a huge difference and we might need to think whether an in what way we might need to these facts on board and even consider harnessing that irrationality as effectively as the right has in recent years.