Allan Siegel via nettime-l on Sat, 16 Sep 2023 20:24:21 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Forget who owns the truth. More talk about the weather...

Hello,
I've been avidly following this thread that Brian started and wondering if I had something to contribute and finally came up with this: thanks to everyone for the motivating comments. Here goes:

Blue Skies, nothing but blue skies / Gloomy Sunday / don’t rain on my parade / Blowin’ In the Wind

Rather than talk about the weather I would prefer to listen to someone, or some group, sing about the weather. The number of songs are limitless; in infinite genres. How one approaches the weather in song is more or less similar to how one can attempt to decipher ‘the truth’. Science or religion are only two of the vectors along which ‘the truth’ can be approached. Either from the vantage points of science, religion, medicine, philosophy, and so on, it’s possible to find a pathway or methodology that one can follow in a quest for the truth. And, along one of these pathways one might actually arrive at a destination or conclusion; on the other hand maybe the conclusion is not so important; it’s the journey that matters. But my real interest here is Brian’s statement: “How can ordinary people "own" the truth?”

My point is: how can people (individually or collectively) take responsibility for their actions if the context for those actions is illusive or uncertain. Or, alternatively, the context - the ideological framework -  is so authoritarian that one is willing to kill because of the certainty underlying one’s belief in the truth. There are quite a number of political parties, religious sects, paramilitary organisations, and cults who all claim to have access to the truth. And then there are the scientists and theoreticians, etc …

As opposed to a quest for the truth, what I am more concerned with is the disintegration of what Hannah Arendt described as the common world. Mainly because discursive spaces and public platforms have been so fractured and commodified that our sense of a common world is rapidly evaporating; And, accordingly, our capacities to act collectively, around shared social values and political ideals, has been rigorously stymied by all forms of privatization and neo-liberalization.

The common world that I am referring to is not monolithic or one dimensional. It contains a diversity of perspectives and numerous communities of knowledge like ‘nettime’. What is empowering about being able to articulate a common world is that it enables our ability to act collectively - this is the fulcrum that triggers the actions that underlie real social change and that prompt the evolution of transformative social and political movements. Our ability to envision a common world is not a fantasy; the ingredients are staring us in the face; From the MeTooMovement, BlackLivesMatter, environmental activists - the list is numerous - the social consciousness that inspires these numerous social and political communities add to the dimensions of a common world. This is very different than imposed definitions of the truth that often lead into dogmatic dead-ends.

best
allan