Brian Holmes via Nettime-tmp on Wed, 2 Aug 2023 16:16:34 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Imagine

I think the question of what computers did to society, and to its relations with nature, is rather different from the question of what the internet did to society and nature.

Mainframe computers were at the center of the postwar organizational complex - by which I mean the state-orchestrated mode of production that gives scientific research an immediately productive role within militarized corporations. That mode of production is really inaugurated by the Manhattan Project for the creation of the atomic bomb, and despite how interesting and tragic a figure like Oppenheimer may be, it's a pity to focus only on a single person when what's at stake is the organizational complex that absorbs any individual (and later spits them out again, if need be).

The internet as it emerged in the 1980s and 90s is about the proliferation of computerized telecommunications. It has contributed to the hyperconsumption and hypermobility of flexible individuals, while at the same time bringing two new elements into the organizational complex: namely just-in-time logistics and transnational finance.

Imagine a world in which China and India did not undergo explosive industrial growth within a global financial and logistics system under American management. Perhaps in a calmer and less competitive atmosphere, the intense social and ecological critiques of the 1960s and 70s would have resulted in societies based on human development in multiple dimensions (liberation, solidarity, cultural efflorescence) and not just economic growth. Perhaps the New International Economic Order that aimed to free Third World countries from neocolonial dependency would have succeeded, rather than being wiped out by transnational finance. Perhaps today we would all live in stable social democracies whose citizens are able to participate in deliberative processes, internalize the results, and actually govern themselves, so as to face the real problems. Would this be better than a frenetically networked world where hidden puppet masters inflame spiraling fears whose surface effects give them momentary political advantage, but whose deep causes they are utterly powerless to change?

Imagine all the people...