Ted Byfield on Mon, 15 May 2023 20:32:13 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> a note about nettime

David, one of my concerns was the haste gathering around one of
the ideas so far. Some of it was obvious, some less so — for
example, that two of the people named for a moderation team never
agreed to any such thing. In my message, I *almost* added a
request that people speak for themselves and not for others, but I
decided against it lest it seem provocative. Oh well. Do I really
need to say — in the context of a discussion about moderation! —
that "voluntelling" unwitting third parties is problematic in
several ways?

So, yes, you're right that my email involved lots of background
thinking and could be read as less than complete or candid. That
happens when you try to condense thoughts involving long experience
into a few paragraphs. Even so, I really don't see how you got from
me asking for a bit of time so we all can have a deliberative
process to a smorgasbord of clichés about manipulation and corruption.

I hope the coming conversations go a bit better than that.

Cheers,
Ted

#  more info: https://lists.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l