jeremy bentham on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 19:18:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Cryptopticon

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 02:00:18PM +0100, Felix Stalder wrote:
> In 2014, a protestor at an anti-fascist rally in Vienna was sentenced to
> 12 months of jail, for alleged participation in violent action.

> Among the evidence that was held against him was using an non-registered
> prepaid card. Even though that was entirely legal at the time, it was
> held against him as evidence that we was actively engaged in obfuscating
> his tracks, which meant, obviously, that he had planned to commit
> crimes. To add to the absurdity of this case, this was before the EU
> eliminated roaming charges, so lots of people bought disposable sim
> cards when traveling aboard (as he did, coming from Germany) for the
> simple reasons of saving telco charges.

> Felix

> [1]
> https://derstandard.at/2000003552905/Da-macht-es-sich-die-Justiz-recht-einfach

> On 07.01.19 10:07, Patrice Riemens wrote:

> > People have chosen for convenience, even at the cost of all-round
> > surveillance. But somewhere in their mind they know it's not 100% okay.
> > So no wonder they stigmatize 'you'. Nothing like freedom to engender
> > jealousy.
> --
>  |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| http://felix.openflows.com
>  |Open PGP   http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=0x0bbb5b950c9ff2ac

I suspect a misunderstanding.

Vaidhyanathan is playing with _cryptic_, as in obscure, not
cryptography:

"Unlike Bentham's Panopticon, the Cryptopticon is not supposed to
be obvious.  Its scale, its ubiquity, and even its very existence
are supposed to be hidden from clear view."  _Antisocial Media_
p. 67

--
 Dave Williams    dnw@eskimo.com