Felix Stalder on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:05:32 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Cryptopticon

In 2014, a protestor at an anti-fascist rally in Vienna was sentenced to
12 months of jail, for alleged participation in violent action.

Among the evidence that was held against him was using an non-registered
prepaid card. Even though that was entirely legal at the time, it was
held against him as evidence that we was actively engaged in obfuscating
his tracks, which meant, obviously, that he had planned to commit
crimes. To add to the absurdity of this case, this was before the EU
eliminated roaming charges, so lots of people bought disposable sim
cards when traveling aboard (as he did, coming from Germany) for the
simple reasons of saving telco charges.

Felix

[1]
https://derstandard.at/2000003552905/Da-macht-es-sich-die-Justiz-recht-einfach