Geert Lovink on Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:03:48 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> update from the Institute of Network Cultures

Dear nettimers,

how are you all? I am going through the impressive paper mausoleum for Mark Fisher, K-Punk. I am curious, what do you read?

I felt the urge to send you an update of what we’re doing in Amsterdam. After a desastrous 2017 with no funding and no events, our small research recovered a bit, in part through a collaboration with the organized crime unit of the City of Amsterdam with an event in May called Flying Money.

After hard work we got a two year applied research grant on digital publishing experiments, together with the group around Florian Cramer in Rotterdam and the group in which Nishant Shah (vice-cancellor at the Artez art academy in Arnhem) is involved. On May 17-18, 2019 we’ll organize an international event in Arnhem on the topic of ‘urgent publishing’. How can we speed up the publication of critical material that wants to make a difference? How can we close the gap between instant publication on blogs and medium with the slowness of academic book publishing and the closed world of academic journals that no one reads? What can we learn from the past decade? Which role can artistic and scholarly work make in the fight against alt.right and rising nationalism? More on this soon! The project website: http://networkcultures.org/makingpublic/.

The call for MoneyLab #6 in Siegen (Germany) is still open--till December 31:

Every now and then I bring together the link lists on MoneyLab-related topics we compile into one blog posting. Here is the latest one: http://networkcultures.org/moneylab/2018/12/24/link-list-part-5/.

Most of this stuff runs on a seperate MoneyLab email list. Please subscribe if you’re interested. You can also follow what’s going on by subscribing to our monthly newsletter, as we left Facebook ages ago:

We’re also excited about the next VideoVortex 12, in Malta, September 27-28, 2019!

All the best from Geert & the INC team