Shahira Issa on Tue, 12 Jan 2016 23:31:21 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> aaaaarg lawsuit digest

do you not think it worthwhile to consider that, today, maybe those who
wanted to buy a book, by an xxxl, s, or any sized author for that
matter, would do that regardless of whether it is on aaaaarg or not?
aaaaarg is 5 a's.

isn't it, objectively speaking, as in independent of one's vocation,
better if people are no longer forced to pay so as to read?

I thought, on a very basic level, one should remember it is not a lot
more than to the discredit and humiliation of anyone involved, in one
way or another, in publishing to sue someone like sean and marcel for
making his/her work available to a wider public (that person being a
translator makes it, I found, particularly all the more ridiculous and
nauseating, since translation is literally about dissemination, I
understood). why bother with the field, really, especially on a smaller
scale, if the idea is to contribute on the condition that knowledge
chains one even more to some defunct form of economic slavery? that
strikes a bit confused.

I thought it is more evident by now that what would help a little maybe
- more than making someone pay for the fact that a technology exists
  that makes things more available, free and open, and they are making
use of it - is to perhaps come up with some way that enables one to
continue making one's work...independent of the tired habit of putting a
price tag on knowledge ("items").

and, yes. I have definitely bought books for authors, that I got to know
through aaaaarg.  but I don't see much merit in that line of argument,
unless to reassert that the platform serves publishing, without serving
publishers who are in it just for the money and so on and so forth. just
to say, that aaaaarg really does help.

> On Jan 12, 2016, at 7:32 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 12, 2016, at 9:41 AM, sebastian@rolux.org wrote:
>>
>> You're probably worrying too much about the
>> big corporations that actually own IP, and almost certainly not
>> enough about the small authors that hallucinate IP.
>
> I've got a new little book about Hillary Clinton and it's already up on
> aaaaarg, or however many fucking a's it requires. I'm a writer and I
> hope to get paid for my work. It's how I pay my bills. "Small authors"
> aren't exactly thriving and this isn't helping. So fuck this piratic
> sense of entitlement.
>

> Doug Henwood
>
> author of My Turn: Hillary Clinton Targets the Presidency
> http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/my-turn-by-doug-henwood/
 <...>