Nick on Fri, 3 Apr 2015 15:35:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> nottime: the end of nettime

Quoth David Garica:

> One other thought though there is much talk of 'sharing' nettime
> writers used to share (and risk) far more. I may be mistaken but as the
> community (dangerous word) and its discourse has developed it has also
> professionalised and not always in a good way. Where once writers would
> have rehearsed their ideas here in rough form I suspect that the
> pressures around academic/publishing commodification creates a greater a
> reluctance expose the ideas before publication. Could this be why it
> feels a less risky, energetic and generous space or am I (as usual)
> being nostalgic.

I'd guess this is mostly due to it being archived and easily
searchable. I certainly find it harder to take risks and admit
vulnerablility in such an environment. Though archiving and
searchability are certainly useful. One answer is pseudonymity, but
that brings its own limitations.