!Mediengruppe Bitnik on Thu, 6 Mar 2014 13:29:57 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> ART UNDER MASS SURVEILLANCEÂ | Saturday Marc

ÂART UNDER MASS SURVEILLANCEÂ

1. Workshop with Danja Vasiliev & Julian Oliver & Talk
2. Book Launch ÂDelivery for Mr. AssangeÂ
3. Conversation between Julian Assange & !Mediengruppe Bitnik

Saturday, March 8 2014
Helmhaus ZÃrich, Limmatquai 31, 8001 ZÃrich

Dear People under Mass Surveillance

How does the NSA spying scandal affect us as artists? What is the role
of art and artists after the revelations of Edward Snowden? The digital
has moved from the margins and has become central to every day life. Can
art be a means to critically reflect on the possibilities and the
implications of the digital? Have new technologies become a means
exclusively to service power and surveillance? Or can they be made to
service protest and resistance?

Together with artists Julian Oliver and Danja Vasiliev and
WikiLeaks-founder Julian Assange, we will explore questions around art,
free internet and surveillance.

1. NETWORKSHOP

12:00 - 18:30 h

with Julian Oliver and Danja Vasiliev

In the afternoon, Julian Oliver and Danja Vasiliev, authors of the
ÂCritical Engineering ManifestoÂ, will give participants of their
NETworkshop insights into the technical and political dimensions of the
Internet. Their workshop deals with questions of how technology shapes
communication, how networks are built and how they are manipulated.

Please note: The workshop is booked out.

http://criticalengineering.org/networkshop/
http://digitalbrainstorming.ch/de/programm/art_under_mass_surveillance

1.1 TALK - JULIAN OLIVER & DANJA VASILIEV

20:00 h - door opens at 19:30 h

We will start the evening with a presentation by Julian Oliver and Danja
Vasiliev of their artistic works related to the topic of mass
surveillance of electronic communications systems.

http://k0a1a.net/
http://julianoliver.com/

2. BOOK LAUNCH - ÂDELIVERY FOR MR. ASSANGEÂ, ECHTZEIT VERLAG

21:00 h

We are very happy to announce our book ÂDelivery for Mr. Assange. Ein
Paket fÃr Mr. AssangeÂ.

The book recounts the many stories that occurred around ÂDelivery for
Mr. Assange and ÂDelivery for Mr. RajabÂ. It follows the Deliveries
from our perspective, describing the extraordinary deliveries, all the
craziness and the uproar it caused on the internet in a fast-paced gonzo
narrative.

Together with musician Bit-Tuner, author and Bitnik member Daniel Ryser
will launch the newly published book.

You can buy your copy on Saturday at the Helmhaus or order it from your
favourite local bookshop or online:

http://wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.bitnik.org/book/
http://www.echtzeit.ch/buecher.php?id=242

Title: ÂDelivery for Mr. Assange. Ein Paket fÃr Mr. AssangeÂ
Publisher: Echtzeit Verlag
Languages: English / German
Publication Date: March 08 2014
ISBN: 978-3-905800-81-4
Pages: 250

Bit-Tuner:
http://bit-tuner.net/â;

3. JULIAN ASSANGE LIVE
A Conversation between Julian Assange & !Mediengruppe Bitnik

22:00 h

In a conversation between !Mediengruppe Bitnik and Julian Assange at the
Ecuadorian embassy in London via video-link we will focus on art under
mass surveillance. We will talk with Julian about his perspective on the
deliveries, his take on mass surveillance and where to go from here.
There will be time for some questions from participants at the end of
the conversation.

https://wikileaks.org/
http://wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.bitnik.org/

The event is part of the exhibition
Â!Mediengruppe Bitnik â Delivery for Mr. AssangeÂ
Helmhaus ZÃrich, February 14 to April 6 2014.

http://wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.bitnik.org/news/2014-helmhaus-images/
http://www.helmhaus.org

--
Concept and realisation: !Mediengruppe Bitnik, Helmhaus ZÃrich, :digital
brainstorming

http://digitalbrainstorming.ch/de/programm/art_under_mass_surveillance