Brian Holmes on Mon, 29 Sep 2003 05:46:07 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> markets, states, associations (was: reverse engineered freedom...)

Ryan Griffis wrote:

>i'm just wondering what it means to break politics
>down into 3 categories that distinguish between
>"markets, governments and voluntary associations," and
>saying they are representative of all modern social
>activity.

The theoretical point of looking at human organization in terms of
those three poles (not categories) is to conceive a field of tension
which is structured by all three, but where you can still distinguish
the differences. Thus, the state conditions the market (pretty
obviously: that's why people talk about state capitalism), but can't
be reduced to it; the reverse it also true (neoliberalism really has
brought about a reduction of certain aspects of the state in favor of
market transactions where corporations play the leading role); and
volontary associations are squeezed and provoked in all kinds of ways
by the state bureaucracies and the commercially provided services
(not to mention all the work you're supposed to do to get them).

This appears quite evident but there are always people saying that
the market is the only true force, or that it's actually the state
pulling all the strings, or that tomorrow we will find ourselves in a
libertarian world without either of these nuisances. I think that the
state, everywhere that it's instituted (i.e. throughout the modern,
technologically advanced societies) is here to stay in a big way and
that it's absurd (and to some extent dangerous, as David points out)
to imagine you're going to escape it. Capitalism is always a little
more fragile because crisis-prone (but people like their markets).
However I also think it's extremely interesting to create autonomous
formations which can carve out more space at a distance from the
state and the market.

In the end though, the kind of "autonomous" formations that actually
exist, and specifically, the kinds of social movements that exist,
have everything to do with the changing balance between the state and
the market - as over the last twenty years, when there's largely been
a shift from a Keynesian welfare state, focusing on universal
provision of services in an at least partially planned economy (a
situation in which unions and collective bargaining could still
channel most of the social movement activity) to a more stripped-down
form of the state, giving up most of the universal entitlements,
focusing on coercive forces like justice, police, prisons, etc., and
using "workfare" type programs to push people toward jobs which
themselves are much more individualized, flexible, less amenable to
collective bargaining, etc. So in this period you have seen the rise,
or really, the black hole, of "excluded people" with their really
desperate social movements (homeless, jobless, paperless, etc.) and
also the rise of a more individualized kind of activism that draws on
the new skills and possibilities opened up by the flexible
professions (tactical media, anyone?). In both cases, the changing
form of the autonomous movements parallels the changes in the other
two poles.

This way of looking at things (which is derived from the work of Karl
Polanyi and his many followers) gets interesting when you start
considering the way that the market or capitalist end, with the "myth
of the free market" that you mention, has tried in recent years to
more fully commodify the fundamentals of land (or the natural
environment, the ecology), labor (the human capacity to directly
transform the world), knowledge (the accumulated transformative
potential of symbolic insciption, ranging from hard science to art
and literature) and money (the means for keeping track of exchanges).
Under the central planning state, public institutions had a larger
role in caretaking all of these fundamentals, whose reproduction can
never be assured only by the logic of market transactions, which tend
just to prey on them, resulting in increased pollution and
exploitation, more hierarchized and commodified access to knowledge,
and periodically intensifying economic crises (untenable spirals of
shaky private debts backed up by other shaky private debts, which
threaten the very value of public money). In these situations, which
I actually think are quite dangerous, you do have the interesting
phenomenon of people forming voluntary associations to try and
restore the balances, but without forming permanent institutions to
do so. This is the tremendously innovative side of the recent
movements, which for me are the most interesting game to play right
now. I was just saying in my earlier post that it's always a kind of
limited game, where you might get more achieved by thinking
strategically about what kind of changes you'd like to wring out of
the state and the market, rather than just kind of getting
enthusiastic about the idea that they might disappear.

I really think that the current state form has come extremely close
to the market, and at the same time, it has oriented the market
formations (corporations, that is) toward coercive and military
activities, giving us a nasty looking world of what you can also call
"transnational state capitalism." That all of this has been possible
proves how little the state has really responded to any so-called
"democratic" pressures. Let's also say the union, co-management model
in particular has proven to have all kinds of disadvantages in terms
of successfully controlling the corporations. So the interesting
thing would be to try to establish some new balance of power (what
they call a "rapport de forces" in French) where you'd have more
input coming from the civil society or voluntary asociation side -
which in its turn presupposes access to knowledge and tools and
education and free time for the people wanting to do the freely
associating politics. There is a real possibility for gains in this
respect, in Europe anyway, and I think a lot of the struggles around
intellectual property right now are oriented by that perspective (in
addition to good old solidarity with all the people who are getting
burned very badly by the current transnational state capitalism). If
we lose the freedoms, but also the service provisions of the
Internet, for instance - well, we're fucked, to use a little more
street-level kind of language. It'd be nice to have libraries in the
future too, don't you think? Good reason to go to Geneva for the WSIS
meetings with Florian and Geert and Steve Cisler (a librarian) and
probably a quarter of the people on this list!

I hope that all this has the slighest grain of usefulness. If not, a
little ASCII is cheap at this point and the delete button is always
handy.

best, Brian