MANETAS on Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:30:49 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Dont Call it Art: Ars Electronica 2003: Call it Telic

In early May 2000, Lexicon Branding, finally delivered  us a  new name. A
year earlier, tired to be called Contemporary Artists, we had order to this
company, a  term which would drive us to un unpredictable direction. The
chosen name was Neen, a name that in old Greek means "Exactly Now" but in
English is (still) free of meaning. Lexicon Branding  proposed also some
other names and especially one of those, Telic, sounded somehow significant,
but a that time we didn't know why. We are now  able to grasp Telic and even
understand Neen in the context that Telic creates: Neen, is between other
things  the diamond in the dust, the Telic dust. And Telic, is all what Lev
Manovich is talking about. Telic, is software art and also contemporary art.
Neen, is the uncharted domain above all that, where art finds a new self,
namely is not just art but also a new lifestyle.

When we started Neen, we were not trying to make any new "art": we merely
wanted a new  "fashion" which would make us feel different and privileged.
If art was a vehicle, we were traveling on it's back  just for the ride. But
we disliked the academic bugs who populate the artworld and we suffered from
nausea  caused by the name of Marcel Duchamp and by the terms "installation"
and "exhibition". Apart of that, we didn't really care much about  computer
or software art and we had never heard of Ars Electronica. ( Later, when we
finally found out about this exhibition, we still not understood it, because
all the material, websites etc which document that show are painful and
impossible to watch, similar to a university brochure.).
But in Neen, we did put computing and the psychological landscape it creates
in the center of our new World view.
After all, the Impressionists were also indifferent to gardening  but they
did painted flowers. We start using computers in the same way they, ( the
Impressionists)  used nature: in order to create a "second" nature.  That
"second" nature, the one the Impressionists discovered, help delete the
concept of "nature" itself and cleaned the place for  the arrival of the
real thing: the Futurism, Surrealism and Dada. As we were playing with the
buttons of our keyboards and with the websites, we also happen to  delete
( accidentally) the concept of "technology", altogether with it's boring
sisters, virtual reality, software art, electronic music etc. After Neen, a
pair of Nike shoes  look  more infrared-enabled than any laptop and Palm
Pilots have less hard drive space than the square watermelons you can find
today at a Japanese fruit market. In Neen, we took cartoons and abstracted
them at a point that they ceased to be funny. We created a new style out of
registering domain names, ( in contrast with other artists who work with the
Web, the Neenstars sell their websites to art collectors, galleries and
Museums ) and finally we changed the whole concept of the exhibition
practice with the ElectronicOrphanage in Los Angeles and the show AfterNeen
in Holland, an exhibition that was "there" only if an online visitor was
"there"(1).
In Neen, we even allowed to  machines to decide of how an art show should be
terminated:  a few days "Afterneen" opened, a computerized car crashed
inside the space where the exhibition was taking place and destroyed
everything !  It sounds like an accident, but it really was one of the first
times where Machines were eager to make their point clear.
In terms of  working at the social arena, we succeed to "stole" the
attention from the biggest Anerican Museum Exhibition, the Whitney Biennial
with the whitneybiennial.com, a very successful show, actually more
successful than the official show.
Having done all that, in less than 3 years, we are ready now to dissolve the
Neen Movement and return to where we came from, myself to paintings, others
to fashion, music, architecture, art or design or whatever.
But we cannot change or ignore  the basic facts we discovered:
1. Everyone in the artworld is an artist. (including gallerists, curators,
journalists, writers and even collectors)
2. Everyone who uses computers is a New Media creator (including scientists,
special effect designers, the porn industry, spammers, hackers, Bill Gates,
even the people who do nothing else than exchanging e-mails.)
3. "Computers" do their own art. (Googlism.com etc). They will not exhibit
it to places such as Ars Electronica or the Venice Biennial.
The thing is to discover when and how it happens and get involved.
4. Telic is everywhere: it's becoming a food coupon card in an International
Art Prison where everybody has to be somehow creative if not he will be
executed.
5. Neen is a fragile thing: something like the "7th spirit" from the movie
Final Fantasy.
6. To be continued

Miltos Manetas, Sept 03

(1) the show was composed by 2 projections showing one the NeenWorld made by
architect Andreas Angelidakis and the other an empty Internet browser. If
someone would visit the NeenWorld online and if he/she would meet one of us
in there and if we would happen to like that person, then we would activate
the browser on the second screen and show the visitor and eventually to
whoever happen to be in that moment at the gallery, some of the artworks
made for the show.

LINKS:
www.neen.org
www.electronicorphanage.com