nettime's_open_EAR on Sun, 7 Sep 2003 23:46:44 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> openly denied digest [hwang, byfield, cramer]

Re: <nettime> Open Source and Denied Parties
     Francis <sera@fhwang.net>
     t byfield <tbyfield@panix.com>
     Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:17:51 -0400
Subject: Re: <nettime> Open Source and Denied Parties
From: Francis <sera@fhwang.net>

That Google Groups discussion was pretty dispiriting, I have to admit.
But then, just because somebody's an open source programmer doesn't
mean he's not an asshole, too. They come in all stripes.

It's worth noting that a good number of programmers in the open source
world don't follow the ideological lines of open source as delineated
by academics and legal theorists. For them, open source is simply what
works.

Mozilla's a big organization, incorporated as a U.S.-based
not-for-profit, and they have to follow these sorts of laws. It was
suggested in that Google Groups thread that Moz could package a build
without crypto so people could use a plugin on their own. That's a good
idea, and it's a shame none of the Moz developers wanted to pick it up.
But being that this is open source it would be relatively easy for
somebody to distribute such builds themselves. The fact that nobody has
done so so far -- there are more than 20 independent Moz-based projects
-- suggests to me that not a lot of people feel that they are directly
affected by this problem.

F.

On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 03:54  AM, auskadi wrote:

> I just went to check out some buggy thing in my inability to open some
> attachments in my Mozilla mail that get sent to me from a mac ... I
> started here:
 <...>