Rob van Kranenburg on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 00:32:07 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Mapping territory

Mapping territory

In Dreams of a Final Theory, Steven Weinberg speaks of the "spooky
ability of mathematicians to anticipate structures that are relevant
to the real world".  This text is about the spooky ability of
designers to do just that, to anticipate structures that are relevant
to the real world, however spooky the real world might become.
How hard it is to write about a world becoming strange, or new, or
spooky, after the dotcom crash, after the high hopes of increasing
productivity through IT, of readers and writers becoming publishers
both , of liberty finally around the corner: a product to be played
out in all kinds of gender, racial and cultural roles, a process to
drive decision-making transparency in both offline and online
processes.  Only to have woken up to the actual realization of a
highly synergized performance of search engines and backend database
driven visual interfaces. Postmodern theory, open source coding and
multimedia channeling promised the production of a new, hybrid space,
only to deliver the content convergence of media channels.
And yet, I claim that we are in the progress of witnessing the
realization of such a new space. In places where computational
processes disappear into the background - into everyday objects -
both my reality and me as subject become contested in concrete daily
situations and activities. Buildings, cars, consumer products, and
people become information spaces by transmitting all kinds of data
through Radio Frequency Tags that are rapidly replacing the barcode.
We are entering a land where the environment  has become  the
interface, where we must learn anew how to make sense.
Making sense is the ability to read data as data and not noise. A
matter of life and death when dealing with the flowing reality of the
earth's core:  "If we consider that the oceanic crust on which the
continents are embedded is constantly being created and destroyed (by
solidification and remelting) and that even continental crust is
under constant erosion so that its materials are recycled into the
ocean, the rocks and mountains that define the most stable and
durable traits of our reality would merely represent a local slowing
down of this flowing reality." (Manuel de Landa, 1997)
Reading this local slowing down of flowing reality has never been
easy, in fact it has never been possible. There was no way of reading
information in the data drawn by the patterns of the seismographs.
Vulcanologists could but read in particular ways that refused to turn
data into reliable information. Until Bernard Chouet, a physicist -
after five years of intensive study - saw patterns where no one  saw
patterns before, decided what was data and what was not data.   He
focused on a particular pattern that no one had seen before.
The design challenge we are facing now is reading the flowing reality
of our  surface. How to store real-time information flows? How to
chart them? Which are our seismographs? How do we match real-time
processes with the signified that they are supposed to signify? How
to find ways of deciding what is data and what is not data in the
space of flows?
Mapping the research process:
According to Wickens , people generally use one of three methods to
navigate towards goals: landmarks, route finding and survey
knowledge. This text - mapping territory - functions on the route
finding level, given you an overview of the questions that will be
addressed. Landmarks, are brief descriptions of facts, occurrences,
statistics, experiences. Survey knowledge allows users to build an
adequate mental model of the navigational space. Such a mental model
may be described as a cognitive map. A cognitive map "allows the
explorer to maintain an important feature known as situation
awareness". Such navigation can not perform optimally without
feedback procedures and dialogue.
Mapping territory: are we dealing we a fundamentally new situation or not?
Will ubiquitous computing enable something  fundamentally new?
When Cook's 'Endeavour' sailed into the bay that we know now as Cape
Everard on April 22 1770, touching upon Australian shore for the
first time, the British saw Aborigines fishing in small canoes.
Whereas the native population of Tahiti had responded with loud
chanting and the Maori had thrown stones, the Aborigines, neither
afraid nor curious, simply went on fishing.
Only until Cook had lowered a small boat and a small party rowed to
the shore did the Aborigines react. A number of men rowing a small
boat signified a raid and they responded accordingly. The Aborigines
must have seen something and even if they could not see it as a ship,
they must have felt the waves it produced in their canoes. However,
as its form and height was so alien, so contrary to any-thing they
had ever observed or produced, they chose to ignore it since they had
no adequate procedures of response. In Dreamtime, the Aborigines
believed they saw an island. And as islands are common, you can let
them drift by, you don't notice them, you don't perceive them as
data. They thought Cook's boat was an island. When you see an island
you do not have to look up. It will pass.
We find ourselves today in a similar situation. Our Endeauvour is the
merging of digital and analogue connectivity as described by Mark
Weiser in his 1991 founding text The Computer in the 21st century and
Eberhardt's and Gershenfeld's announcement in Febuary 1999 that the
Radio Frequency Tag had dropped under the penny cost. For most common
users the ubiquitous computing revolution is too fundamental to be
perceived at such. Some professional users believe in smooth
transitions, as Tesco's UK IT director Colin Cobain, who says that
RFID tags will be used on 'lots of products' within five years - and
perhaps sooner for higher value goods;  'RFID will help us understand
more about our products, he claims.  And some professionals believe
"that what we call ubiquitous computing will gradually emerge as the
dominant mode of computer access over the next twenty years.
Intringuingly, it is Mark Weiser who believed "that ubiquitous
computing will enable nothing fundamentally new, but by making
everything faster and easier to do, with less strain and mental
gymnastics, it will transform what is apparently possible."
Contrary to Mark Weiser's claim that ubiquitous computing will enable
nothing fundamentally new, I believe that ubiquitous computing will
enable something fundamentally new, and the main question is : to
what extent is does it have designerly agency?

The disappearing computer,  - launched by Future and Emerging
Technologies, the European Commission's IST Programme - is a vision
of the future: "in which our everyday world of objects and places
become 'infused' and 'augmented' with information processing. In this
vision, computing, information processing, and computers disappear
into the background, and take on the role more similar to that of
electricity  (it. mine) today - an invisible, pervasive medium
distributed on our real world."  In such a real world, Martin Rantzer
of Ericsson Foresight, claims in A future world of supersenses: "New
communication senses will be needed in the future to enable people to
absorb the enormous mass of information with which they are
confronted." According to him the user interfaces we use today to
transmit information to our brains threaten to create a real
bottleneck for new broadband services. "The boundaries of what
constitutes consumer electronics and computers are getting blurred,"
says Gerard J. Kleisterlee, chief executive of Royal Philips
Electronics, "As we get wireless networking in the home, everything
starts to talk to everything."  In such a mediated environment -
where everything is connected to everything -  it is no longer clear
what is being mediated, and what mediates. Design decisions become
process decisions in a mediatized environment. Such environments -
your kitchen, your living-room, our shopping malls, the streets of
old villages, websites, schools, p2p networks, are new beginnings as
they reformulate our sense of ourselves in places in spaces in time.
The goal of the Disappearing Computer project  is augmenting the
world of everyday objects and places with information processing
while at the same time exploiting the affordances of real objects in
the real world.  Dr. Norbert Streitz, one of the key figures in the
network, explains that this requires "an integrated design of real
and virtual worlds and - taking the best of both - developing hybrid
worlds with matching metaphors." The disappearing computer can,
according to him, be thought of as genius loci, - the spirit of the
place. As 'nature' and 'techn=E9' become hybrid spheres, people become
'tags', or ghosts. What is the role and place of design in these
information spaces that are mediated with computational processes
that generate not data (linked to other data) - the kind of
communicative process that we are familiar with - but information
(linked to other information)?  The design challenge lies in
confronting the move from interaction as a key term to resonance as
an interpretative framework. Resonance refers most aptly to the way
we relate to things, people, ideas in a connected environment.
Interaction presupposes an ideal setting, agency and response. But
mediation -the core business of interaction - is no longer a
relationship. It has become the default position. The role of design
lies in making visible what is not visible as such,  creating
seismographs - ways of reading the flowing surface realities of both
digital and analogue data - ways of reading them, as they will surely
read us.

Landmarks:
Searching for sudden "bursts" in the usage of particular words could
be used to rapidly identify new trends and sort information more
efficiently, says a US computer scientist., Jon Kleinberg, at Cornell
University in New York. The method could be applied to weblogs to
track new social trends; "For example, identifying word bursts in the
hundreds of thousands of personal diaries now on the web could help
advertisers quickly spot an emerging craze, or  identifying word
bursts within email messages sent to a company's customer support
address might help maintenance staff spot a major new problem.

Mapping territory: what kind of literacies do we need to design?
All things tend to disappear, and especially things man made.
'Ephemeralisation' was Buckminster Fuller's term for describing the
way that a technology becomes subsumed in the society that uses it.
The pencil, the gramophone, the telephone, the cd player, technology
that was around when we grew up, is not technology to us, it is
simply another layer of connectivity.  Ephemeralisation is the
process where technologies are being turned into functional
literacies; on the level of their grammar, however, there is very
little coordination in their disappearing acts. These technologies
disappear as technology because we can not see them as something we
have to master, to learn, to study. They seem to be a given. Their
interface is so intuitive, so tailored to specific tasks, that they
seem natural. In this we resemble the primitive man of Ortega y
Gasset:
=8A.the  type of man dominant to-day is a primitive one, a Naturmensch
rising up in the midst of a civilised world. The world is a civilised
one, its inhabitant is not: he does not see the civilisation of the
world around him, but he uses it as if it were a natural force. The
new man wants his motor-car, and enjoys it, but he believes that it
is the spontaneous fruit of an Edenic tree. In the depths of his soul
he is unaware of the artificial, almost incredible, character of
civilisation, and does not extend his enthusiasm for the instruments
to the principles which make them possible.
This unawareness of the artificial, almost incredible, character of
Techn=E9 - the Aristotelian term for technique, skill - is only then
broken when it fails us:
"Central London was brought to a standstill in the rush hour on July
25 2002 when 800sets of traffic lights failed at the same time -- in
effect locking signals on red.
Every new set of techniques brings forth its own literacy: The
Aristotelian protests against introducing pencil writing, may seem
rather incredible now, at the time it meant nothing less than a
radical change in the structures of power distribution. Overnight, a
system of thought and set of grammar; an oral literacy dependant on a
functionality of internal information visualization techniques and
recall, was made redundant because the techniques could be
externalised. Throughout Western civilization the history of memory
externalisation runs parallel with the experienced disappearance of
its artificial, man made, character. An accidental disappearance,
however much intrinsic to our experience, that up till now has not
been deliberate. This then is the fundamental change and the design
challenge that we are facing in ubicomp; the deliberate attempt of a
technology to disappear as technology.
It took me five years to figure out, to grasp, - understand - let me
use the word resonate - these lines of Heraclitus: and I rephrase
them in my own lines - "of all that which is dispersed haphazardly,
the order is most beautiful." In the Fragments you read that these
lines are incomprehensible as far as the Heraclitus scholars are
concerned. They can not  link it as a line of verse with other words
in other lines in verse. I read it and in reading I knew it to be
true. Knowing that only as experience is not very productive in a
society that has no non-iconic medium for transmitting these kinds of
experiences. In order to make this experience productive; read: make
it politically viable and socially constructive - in order to find
ways of transmitting, ways of teaching experiences like this - we
textualise them. We find analogies, we read initial lines as
metaphor, as metonomy.  I went for a walk one day in the woods near
=46., in the Belgian Ardennes. A beautiful walk it was, steep down,
hued autumn colours, leaves fading into black. In the quiet meadow
that we passed I saw autumn leaves, small twigs, pebbles sometimes -
hurdled into the most beautiful of patterns by the strenght of water
moving. I looked hard realizing there was indeed no other way of
arranging them.
I recognized leaves as data. I recognized data as data. And I
recognized the inability to find a way to come to terms with
Heraclitus' line without walking, without taking a stroll in the
woods and look around you, look around you and find the strenght of
streams arranging.

Landmarks :
Mikhail Simkin and Vwani Roychowdhury of the University of
California, notice in a citation database that misprints in
references are fairly common, and that a lot of the mistakes are
identical. They looked at a famous 1973 paper on the structure of
two-dimensional crystals;  cited in other papers 4300 times, with 196
citations containing misprints in the volume, page or year.  It
appeared that 45 scientists, who might well have read the paper, made
an error when they cited it. Then 151 others copied their misprints
without reading the original. So for at least 77 per cent of the 196
misprinted citations, no one read the paper.
A group of prominent scientists announce the creation of two
open-source peer-reviewed online journals on biology and medicine.
They intend to bring the best papers in the public domain. Says Dr.
Harold E. Varmus, chairman of the new nonprofit publisher, "Our
ability to build on the old to discover the new is all based on the
way we disseminate our results."

Mapping territory: If ubiquitous computing enables something
fundamentally new, to what extent does it have designerly agency?
The status of theory in the larger field of design practice and
design teaching has  generally been framed in terms of relevance. For
the theoretical physicist Eugene Wigner, however, one of the central
mysteries of science is the "unreasonable effectiveness of
mathematics in the natural sciences". Steven Weinberg asserts: "So
irrelevant is the philosophy of quantum mechanics to its use, that
one begins to suspect that all the deep questions about the meaning
of measurement are really empty, forced on us by our language, a
language that evolved in a world governed very nearly by classical
physics."  Wigner and Weinberg are able to label the theoretical
foundations of their own practice as 'irrelevant' because they work
within a well-defined paradigm towards the development of the latest
unified theory, the string theory. They know where they are heading.
And whereas theoretical physicists travel backwards towards a fixed
point, designers can only move forwards to territory as yet unread.
This territory, however, can be mapped. The status of theory here
lies in it's ability to map out unexplored territory and function as
a conceptual framework that distinguishes between productive and
non-productive questions, determines when observations become data,
and posits cognitive objectives. But it is not per se relevant. On
the contrary, it concerns itself with the mechanisms of making sense
on a daily basis, on a concrete level of dealing with the various
experiences of reality that defy relevance.
=46ollowing up on a USA Today (August 5, 2002) piece on how new SUV
interiors are being designed to be "more like living rooms."  Michael
Kaplan noticed on Design-l that more and more people are leaving
their SUVs in shopping center parking lots locked with the engines
running (to power the air conditioners). He sees  "people sitting in
them using their cell phones, watching television, or working on
their laptops." He writes:  "It occurred to me that the SUV, for many
people, is an extension of their home, a little mobile room they can
detach and live in when they are not in their fixed home. All fine
and well, if these things didn't consume so much energy, pollute the
environment, take up excessive parking space, and pose danger to
smaller vehicles. They should probably be taxed for the damage they
do (lol). And I would think, too, that they could be designed better
for what they are used for, have a solar collectors covering their
huge surface area to keep the a/c running while parked."
This story narrates this now everyday experience of being grounded
when we are on the road, being at home while mobile.  It also
narrates the design tendencies of this increased interconnecivity of
mediasystems - television, mobiles, computers - as it tries to
immerse itself into very familiar objects, here the automobile. It is
precisely because of the familiarity of the local space that
mediasystems are added to the automobile, leaving its primary
function - to make miles - intact.

Every new set of techniques brings forth its own literacy:, the
deliberate attempt of a technology to disappear as technology,
implies that designers not only produce new products but also the
process procedures that gave birth to these products in these first
place.
In Smile, You're on In-Store Camera, Erik Baard describes how the web
shopping process of following your customer every step of the way,
might now become effectively used in an ordinary supermarket: "The
algorithm looks for shapes of people and (passes) the same individual
off from camera to camera by, for example, looking for a yellowcolor
leaving the left side of one camera view to enter the overlapping
right side of the next. " The algorithm is tuned with
pressure-sensitive carpets. Neither Identix (formerly Visionics), nor
the originator of the pressure-sensitive magic carpet, MIT Media Lab
researcher Joe Paradisso, thought of these ways of using their work
for tracking consumers: "I was thinking of music. I never thought
about this for retail at all," said Paradisso, who has designed
performance spaces where footsteps trigger bass or percussive sounds
and torso, head and arm movements elicit higher, "twinkling" notes."

Ubicomp Applications
The editors of the first volume of Visual Communication, claim that:
"at the same time as the study of language and communication has
become more openly oriented towards practical problems, the practice
of designing visual communications has become more openly allied to
research."  The working notion of research, however in current
academies is deeply infested with a sterile theory-practice dichotomy
that functioned in a mechanistic worldview, but is hardly productive
in a ubicomp world. We face the challenge of rethinking research as a
performative practice based on creating applications for societal
benefit. There are very few ubicomp applications at the moment that
do not focus on control or surveillance issues. There is real need
for applications that empower users in dealing with uncertain
situations. Of my following work in progress, Anthony D. Joseph,
editor of the Pervasive Computing magazine, says it "represents an
interesting combination and application of medical and computer
technology".

UBICOMP TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK FOR PEOPLE WITH OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDER

Rob van Kranenburg * Resonance Design

Roger was a successful vice president of a bank, unremarkable in
every respect, except one. Before starting a task, he had to pull his
socks up and down five times. Exactly five. Roger (not his real name)
had obsessive-compulsive disorder. Like a skipping record, OCD
patients repeat an act or repeatedly think about a phrase, number, or
concept. "Most of us are able to switch things off," says Hopkins
professor of psychiatry Rudolf Hoehn-Saric. "In obsessive-compulsive
disorder, the person can't." (M. Hendricks, "The Man Who Couldn't
Stop Adjusting His Socks," Johns Hopkins Magazine, June 1995;
www.jhu.edu/~jhumag/695web/socks.html)

In the US and Netherlands, one in 50 adults currently has OCD, and
twice as many have had it at some point in their lives. OCD is a
medical brain disorder that causes problems in information
processing, creating a loop in the feedback procedure so that people
miss the "ka-chung" that closes a car door or the click that shuts
down the television. According to the Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation,

Worries, doubts, and superstitious beliefs all are common in everyday
life. However, when they become so excessive, such as hours of hand
washing, or make no sense at all, such as driving around and around
the block to check that an accident didn't occur, then a diagnosis of
OCD is made. In OCD, it is as though the brain gets stuck on a
particular thought or urge and just can't let go. People with OCD
often say the symptoms feel like a case of mental hiccups that won't
go away. OCD is a medical brain disorder that causes problems in
information processing. It is not your fault or the result of a
"weak" or unstable personality. (The Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation,
www.ocfoundation.org/ocf1010a.htm)

How could ubicomp be instrumental here? Phase 1 is researching if
ubicomp applications can assess if a person has a tendency for audio,
visual, tactile, or other kinds of feedback that would signal the
task scenario's closure. In Phase 2, we would have to access, for
example, if visual feedback on clothing or another appliance could
break the chain of repetition for a person who functions on visual
feedback but is dealing with an apparatus that does not provide such
feedback. Working closely with psychiatrists and OCD patients, in
Phase 3 we could test whether such ubiquitous computing applications
could break the loop of repetition, assuming that it is the kind of
feedback that is responsible for the taskloop's nonclosure.
A group of researchers performed experiments and concluded that "the
OCD group performed significantly worse than controls in the temporal
ordering task despite showing normal recognition memory. Patients
were also impaired in 'feeling-of-doing' judgments, suggesting they
have a lack of self-awareness of their performance" (M.A. Jurado et
al., "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD): Patients are Impaired in
Remembering Temporal Order and in Judging Their Own Performance," J.
Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, vol. 24, no. 3, 2002, pp.
261-269).
Based on these findings, research into ubicomp applications could
focus on temporal markers and serendipitous feedback scripting into
various scenarios to raise self-awareness.
The three phases just discussed are being developed within the
framework of contemporary performance and theatrical practice. There
we find an actualization of (and ways of dealing with) the bottleneck
scenarios that information experts envision.
In this research as performative practice setting we can both
acknowledge a certain group of performances as experiments in dealing
with information overload, and acknowledge that  implementing digital
connecitivity in an analogue environment without a design for all the
senses , without a concept of corporal literacy, leads to information
overload. In a ubiquitous computing environment the new intelligence
is extelligence, "knowledge and tools that are outside people's
heads" (Stewart and Cohen, 1997) In a ubiquitous computing
environment the user has to be not only textually and visually
literate, both also have corporal literacy, that is an awareness of
extelligence and a working knowledge of all the senses.

The main question from a design educational point of view then
concerns the kind of skills and kind of literacies that a designer
needs to function. And these turn out to be those that are most
foreign to an educational practice today, as this new situation needs
designers that can assess emergent literacies, unforeseen uses,
unintended use, and resonance - not interaction - as the key producer
of causalities. For such a designer the default position is one of
uncertainty, of being able to cope with a continuous delaying of the
act of closure, of an 'end'. In the new 754i BMW sedan the iDrive,
also known as the miracle knob  "is designed, through a computerized
console, to replace more than 200 that control everything from the
position of seats to aspects of the navigation of the car itself to
climate, communications and entertainment systems." In  May 2002
15,000 7-series were recalled. "BMW tried to do too many things at
once with this car, and they underestimated the software problem,"
says Conley, ex-CEO of EPRO Corp." Only two-thirds of hardware has
been unleashed by software. There are so many predecessors and
dependencies within software that it's like spaghetti-ware. It's not
that easy to get all these little components to plug and play."
When the product and the process gets confused, pitfalls arise. What
does this mean for connectivity in a business environment? It means
that there is a need for tools to master this merging of digital and
analogue processes of communication and database-driven systems. As
the environment becomes the interface, where is the company
dashboard, the familiar readers of situation, actions, scenarios?
Ubicomp pitfalls:
In Insourcing Information Management: Ford CIO Mary Adams makes
information management a core competency and is cutting costs. How?
She is bringing more IT people-and projects-inside. She recognized
"that the highest return on investment comes from technology that is
deeply integrated into the core operating systems, practices and
processes of the company-not a strategy that puts an Internet veneer
in front of things that still need to be fixed. " Ford is bringing
much of what was outsourced back inside: from having 146 different
premier IT providers they are down to eight.  Adams: " Insourcing
gives you more control over the quality and speed of your IT work.
It's about taking complete ownership and accountability for most IT
work done at Ford and, in some ways, it's being able to test, prove
and develop in-house more cheaply than before. In that way, it
reduces risk."   Insourcing is strategy that is also  helping to
avoid the "primary reason for the high failure rate of the first
generation of customer relationship management projects: a failure to
align software capabilities with the actual needs of customers.
Pitfall: How do you know what services to insource without losing
touch with emerging services and needs?
In Customer Relation Management:  Gartner research director Beth
Eisenfeld claims that it is "crucial to identify and quantify the
processes involved in a company's interactions with customers to see
where they break down, and then to redefine them across all
departments. Only then does it make sense to add technology to the
mix. It is possible -- even likely -- that a company may have
hundreds or thousands of such processes, Eisenfeld said. But the
sheer numbers should not be cause for alarm. Identifying them will
enable a CRM newcomer to establish meaningful priorities."
Pitfall: How do you map these hundreds or thousands of processes in a
dynamic way?
In media convergence: Tim Fenton, Managing Editor, BBC News
Interactive claims:  'At BBC News Interactive, we believe convergence
of basic production is necessary if we are to continue to increase
efficiency and deliver a consistent service across all media. At the
same time, we believe our audience is diverging and we are going to
have to produce a greater number of better-targeted services.
Reconciling these two is our greatest organisational challenge.'
This reconciliation is now attempted by the move in stealth
marketing, in guerrilla marketing from using mixed media (radio, sms,
billboard, television) to create user experiences to designing
experiences by mediating the environment.
Pitfall: Attempting this reconciliation media convergence and
audience divergence with concepts that are infused by the scarcity
principle, will not be able to detect emergent literacies, needs and
services.
In  profiling strategies: "Federal aviation authorities and
technology companies will soon begin testing a vast air security
screening system designed to instantly pull together every
passenger's travel history and living arrangements, plus a wealth of
other personal and demographic information." Says Robert O'Harrow Jr
=2E The government's plan is to "establish a computer network linking
every reservation system in the United States to private and
government databases. The network would use data-mining and
predictive software to profile passenger activity and intuit obscure
clues about potential threats, even before  (italics mine) the
scheduled day of flight=8A.Computers would apply statistical algorithms
to correlate physiologic patterns with computerized data on travel
routines, criminal background and credit information from "hundreds
to thousands of data sources," NASA documents say.
Pitfall: Note the extremities to which the designers will go to
script serendipity into their profiling strategy: data-mining and
predictive software, obscure clues, statistical algorithms,
physiologic patterns, computerized data from "hundreds to thousands
of data sources".
What becomes the toplevel skill in this environment? Serendipity used
to be an interpretative tool, the skill to lay bare hidden
connections. Now the ability to read data as data has become the top
level skill. How else are you going to make sense of the serendipity
that is scripted into your profiling strategies? How do you
differentiate between content and context is your content is
inherently contextualized?
Mapping territory: Extelligence: buildings, cars and people become
information spaces
The ultimate aim of all creativity is the building! And the italics
are original to Walter Gropius Manifesto of the Bahaus (April 1919):
"Let us together desire, conceive and create the new building of the
future, which will combine everything - architecture and sculpture
and painting - in  a single form=8A." In a ubicomp environment,
architecture will become once again the core unit of design. For
something has fundamentally changed; the very nature of information
itself, no longer analogue, no longer digital, and not hybrid
neither: buildings, cars and people can now be defined as information
spaces. Anthony Townsend, from Taub Urban Research Center, has been
asked  commission by the South Korean government to "turn an
undeveloped parcel of land on the outskirts of Seoul into a city
whose raison d'etre will be to produce and consume products and
services based on new digital technologies. " The main challenge lies
in the realization that "half of designing a city is going to be
information spaces that accompany it because lots of people will use
this to navigate around." Townsend claims that telecommunications in
a city in 2012 is going to be a lot more complex: "The most
interesting thing about it will be that you won't be able to see it
all at once because all these data structures, computational devices,
digital networks and cyberspaces that are built upon those components
will be invisible unless you have the password or unless you are a
member of the group that is permitted to see them."  In such an
environment, the people themselves - human bodies- become information
spaces too.
In an attempt to achieve a harmony between a town center and a
distribution network, officials of the Wal-Mart Corporation announced
in March 2003 the opening of Walton Township, guaranteeing its
residents a literally bottomless supply of consumer goods, for a flat
all-in monthly fee.  According to Valerie Femble-Grieg, who designed
it, the key to Walton is "a literal superimposition of municipal and
retail channels."  In an effort to control 'leakage,' the export of
flat-fee goods outside the Township by community subscribers,
Wal-Mart plans to institute a pervasive inventory control system
consisting of miniature radio-frequency tags broadcasting unique
product and batch ID numbers."  The tree major U.S. car manufacturers
plan to install rfd tags in " every tire sold in the nation". The
tags can be read on vehicles going as fast as 160 kilometers per hour
from a distance of 4.5 meters.  In January 2003, Gillette began
attaching rfd tags to 500 million of its Mach 3 Turbo razors. Smart
shelves at Wal-Mart stores "will record the removal of razors by
shoppers, thereby alerting stock clerks whenever shelves need to be
refilled-and effectively transforming Gillette customers into walking
radio beacons."  London Underground will in all probality have about
10.000 CCTV's  by 2004 (it now has 5000). The systems architecture -
MIPSA , Modular Intelligent Pedestrian Surveillance Architecture - is
programmed with scenarios - "such as unattended objects, too much
congestion, or people loitering - and when it detects one of those,
it alerts the operator through a series of flashing lights and
messages."

"To determine what is suspect, the system memorizes the features of
an image that are constant, and then subtracts those to figure out
what is happening. It looks at patterns of motion and their
intensity. Things that are stationary for too long in a busy
environment raise alarms.."
Are our current designers equipped to deal with these fundamental
issues and dilemma's, where what used to be media ethics has now
become building ethics itself?

Landmarks:
In SMART MOBS, Howard Rheingold documents the role of text
coordinating mass demonstrations against President Joseph Estrada in
January 2001.
DARPA is two-year-old $50-million Human ID at a Distance program.
And  while automated face recognition receives the most attention,
DARPA is  also funding efforts at a handful of universities to
identify people  through their body language. The theory is simple:
in the same way that  each person has a unique signature or
fingerprint, each person also has a  unique walk. The trick is to
take this body language and translate it into  numbers that a
computer can recognize.  One approach is to create a "movement
signature" for each person."
Bemoaning the loss of old skills is probably not the most productive
way to critique the new technologies.  The greater need is to
recognize that, precisely *because* of the labor-saving capabilities
of our high-tech tools, the art of mastery demands greater skills and
more arduous discipline than ever before.

Mapping territory: Vision
"As thousands of ordinary people buy monitoring devices and services,
the unplanned result will be an immense, overlapping grid of
surveillance systems, created unintentionally by the same ad-hocracy
that caused the Internet to explode. Meanwhile, the computer networks
on which monitoring data are stored and manipulated continue to grow
faster, cheaper, smarter, and able to store information in greater
volume for longer times. Ubiquitous digital surveillance will marry
widespread computational power-with startling results."
The most intriguing aspect of Bauhaus is that the most successful
unit, - the unit coming 'closest to Bauhaus intentions', as Gropius
stated, the pottery workshop - was located 25 kilometers from Weimar,
in Dornburg. It was hard to reach by train, and hard to reach by car.
The workshop master Max Krehan owned the workshop, so there was a
business interest  from the start. The relationship with Marcks , the
Master of Form, was not contaminated with formalized roundtable
discussions, but was a productive twoway (abstract-concrete)
interrelationship.
"More important still, in terms of what Gropius hoped for the entire
Bauhaus, was the way in which the pottery workshop operated in close
co-operation with the local community in which it found itself. It
made pots for the community and the town of Dornburg leased the
workshop a plot of land which the students used for vegetables and on
which, it was hoped, they would build."
So what can we learn from this? That we must not aim to define, alter
or transform practices, processes, places or people. What should be
aimed at to define is a vision. A vision that should be able to
inspire and empower designers in their concrete experience of agency
in this undesignerly new world, towards a humanistic and optimistic
positive attitude in the role, function and leadership of the
designer in his and her capability to make sense, to work within an
uncertain framework of unforeseen consequences, unintended uses, and
procedural breakdown.
Three basic ideas underlie this vision: one; the dominance of a yet
to be developed  concept of life and living as slow becoming, as in
Eug=E8ne Minkowsky's idea that the essence of life is not " a feeling
of being, of existence, but a feeling of participation in a flowing
onward, necessarily expressed in terms of time, and secondarily
expressed in terms of space."  , two; the dominance of a yet to be
developed concept of slow money, so as to focus on the design process
on the one hand and the sustainability of the design products on the
other, and three a working concept of our former notion of control,
as resonance.

   Weinberg. S. Dreams of a final theory Vintage, 1993, p. 52.
   From the BBC documentary, Volcano Hell: "Chouet's methods have
commanded wide respect and have been increasingly used around the
world. In a dramatic demonstration last year Mexican scientists used
Chouet's method to predict an eruption of the mighty volcano
Popocat=E9petl. Tens of thousands of people were safely evacuated just
before the biggest eruption of the volcano for a thousand years. No
one was Shurt."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2001/volcanohell.shtml
   Whittaker, L. A. 'Human Navigation', in ''Human Factors and Web
Development', in Forsythe C., Grose, E., Ratner, J., (eds.) Human
=46actors and Web Development New Jersey, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates,
1998, p. 64.

   Shops reveal plans to replace barcodes, By Steve Ranger [04-09-2002]
   Mark Weiser, "The Computer for the Twenty-First Century,"
Scientific American, pp. 94-10, September 1991
   http://www.disappearing-computer.net/
    At Big Consumer Electronics Show, the Buzz Is All About
Connections January 13, 2003 By SAUL HANSELL,
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/13/technology/13DIGI.html?ex=3D1043457162&ei=
=3D1&en=3D124b1e27fe81246e