nettime's_cache on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 00:08:57 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Google's Weapons of Mass Destruction

Re: <nettime> Google's Weapons of Mass Destruction
     Amy Alexander <plagiari@plagiarist.org>
     Keith Sanborn <mrzero@panix.com>

Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 05:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Amy Alexander <plagiari@plagiarist.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Google's Weapons of Mass Destruction

i'm not sure the search engine is actually detourned in this case...
it seems unlikely that the guy planned to achieve the #1 ranking for that
searchterm and thus become the result of the "i'm feeling lucky" button...
seems more likely to me that he just put the page up as a joke (and
possible moneymaker) without considering it as a google intervention
or even much of a political statement...

beyond that, i'm sort of debating whether i think google mucked with the
results to make that one come out on top... on the one hand i guess with
all its blog links it *could* have achieved the highest pagerank... on the
other hand, it's convenient PR for google, and fits in with their
"fun-loving" corporate image (like the "elmer fudd" language
translations, etc... )  whether they also get some kickback from amazon
i'm not sure.. :-) ... but, when i first saw the site, i actually thought
it was a google plant at first, before learning it was an individual's site...