nettime's_solvent on Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:39:58 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> dissolving opencontent digest [adam, auskadi]

Re: <nettime> opencontent.org dissolves and stalls its licenses
     adam <adam@xs4all.nl>
     auskadi <auskadi@tvcabo.co.mz>

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 16:38:21 +0200 (CEST)
From: adam <adam@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: <nettime> opencontent.org dissolves and stalls its licenses

hey all,

Just a quickie, i do find the idea of finding a name for a group of
licences a bit mundane, but i too have too much time on my hands ;-) and
so i thought i would chip in...

why not call the licences that appear under this 'text and not code' group
of licences...'open source'....???

Afterall, Open Source originated in the domain of 'text not code' as it
was (and still is) used in journalism.  Before being 'invented' (ie.
applied to software) by the Open Source Initiative, Open Source
had been around for a long time. The OSI doesnt own this term, they
appropriated it, and the hence OSI cant get trade mark certification for
'Open Source'. The actual term the OSI use for their licences is 'OSI
Certified'.

'Open Source' is just a label that is up for grabs.

so...why not just use 'Open Source'. Using another term, like 'open
content' just confuses the issue doesnt it? I mean, 'Open Source' was a
marketing ploy...it gets the message across, so why bother splitting hairs
about whether it applies to code or plain text? Isnt it better to just
jump on the existing marketing bandwagon instead of starting a new one up
from (almost) scratch?

adam

Adam Hyde
radioqualia.net