Felix Stalder on Wed, 2 Jul 2003 16:24:53 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> opencontent.org dissolves and stalls its licenses

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 08:17, auskadi wrote:
> When I first read this series of postings the lawyer (Heiko read "common
> law lawyer") in me asked himself why does someone have to maintain a
> licence?. All that is needed is that you use it. For this it just needs to
> be available. Simply because someone shuts down a web site (or stops
> updating it) doesn't seem to invalidate a form of licence if you choose to
> use it.

If this move from OpenContent to CreativeCommons would have been done a bit
smoother, stressing it to be an upgrade of the concept, rather than the "end
of opencontent", much of Florian's concerns, at least vis-a-vis the people he
convinced, would have been alleviated. From a legal point of view, it's no
problem at all, since, as auskadi writes, a license does not need to be
maintained to be valid. If you published something under the OpenContent
license, it fact that someone announces that he will not issue future
versions of it, doesn't matter. The license keeps its legal validity.

The problem is more one of PR than of substance. It makes the OC movement
'look bad', rather exposing some inherent weakness. But, of course,
appearances do matter. OpenContent was a great term and to abandon it is a
bad move.

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 22:36, Francis Hwang wrote:
> Florian, is there anything to prevent you or somebody else from taking
> up the OPL and maintaining it without David Wiley's involvement? So
> David Wiley doesn't think it's worth his time. Maybe there's somebody
> out there who does.

The reference to the Free Software Foundation is important because it
indicates that if you want to maintain a long-term project, you need some
institutional setting in which it can survive even is the initiator(s) have
left. This is also why Francis' call for someone else to take it over --
implicitely stating that Florian should do it if he cares so much -- is so
wrong. What is needed are not heroic individuals who maintain projects for
the good of it, but reliable long-term settings that can support ideas and
concepts in the long run.

This is also why I think the move to CreativeCommons is a good one and not as
confusing as Florian states. Unless, of course, your idea of "openness" is
the GPL and nothing else, then CC offers plenty of occasion to deviate from
the right path.

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 08:17, auskadi wrote:
> My initial feeling is that (excuse this for those friends
> in the States) is that CC is too hung up on North American ideas of
> liberty and the "founding fathers". It is one thing I have trouble with
> when I read Lessig, Boyle et al...this preoccupation with the values of
> the US or their version of what they are.

I agree that US constitutionalism doesn't hold very much appeal outside of the
US and works only to a limited degree in the US (see the Eldrige case). While
this is a serious problem with the overall political strategy of Lessig and
others, it doesn't invalidate the CC licenses in any way. They are still
useful and it seems better to me to have one place that offers a few
easy-to-customize licenses than having to read through the 2O plus licenses
listed on opensource.org, or trying to figure out the difference between the
OpenContent license and the GNU Free Documentation license.

Felix